Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All in One From Cocktail Audio - Focus on its Streaming ability
X40 is all in one for small load speakers (maybe) but has loads of other features. however I m posting it here for its streaming capabilities. ... built in storage (4TB), NAS, CD Ripping, AES/EBU, Toslink (optical), USB output etc. other featuers also exists.

Name sounds nice on a Friday evening here ... Smile

It has ESS Sabre DAC (if we can ignore DAC this has good Streaming abilities )

Quality of the digital processing - needs to be qualified. My dealers wont give it for home demo. Either buy or never mind Sad.

Below is Copy Paste:
Link -> http://www.cocktailaudio.com/overview_x40.php
Models: X10, X12, X30, X40
World-Class High-resolution Digital Audio
Premium DSD DXD Audio DAC featuring native DSD file direct playback,
Music Server with database, CD Ripper, Network Streamer
• Playback of DSD64 (2.8224MHz), DSD128 (5.6448MHz), DXD (24bit/352.8KHz), PCM signal up to 32bit/384KHz including
24bit/192KHz WAV/FLAC and full range of hi-res audio file formats
• ES9018K2M Sabre³² Reference DAC built-in
• XMOS 32Bit/500MIPS digital signal processing unit
• Phono INPUT (Moving Magnet) for turntable
• Load your vinyl and cassette tape collections to the X40 in 192kHz sample rate
• Music Streaming Services like Qobuz, Simfy and Internet Radio.
• UPnP Media Server & Renderer for streaming playback and control remotely via network.
• Supports up to 3.5" SATA hard disk 4TB, 2.5" hard disk and SSD
• FM Radio Tuner built-in
• Recording with hi-res 24bit/192KHz sample rate
deleted other features to save space
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
(27-Feb-2015, 11:32)Jnan_devi Wrote: X40 is all in one for small load speakers (maybe) but has loads of other features. however I m posting it here for its streaming capabilities. ... built in storage (4TB), NAS, CD Ripping, AES/EBU, Toslink (optical), USB output etc. other featuers also exists.

Name sounds nice on a Friday evening here ... Smile

It has ESS Sabre DAC (if we can ignore DAC this has good Streaming abilities )

Quality of the digital processing - needs to be qualified. My dealers wont give it for home demo. Either buy or never mind Sad.

Below is Copy Paste:
Link -> http://www.cocktailaudio.com/overview_x40.php
Models: X10, X12, X30, X40
World-Class High-resolution Digital Audio
Premium DSD DXD Audio DAC featuring native DSD file direct playback,
Music Server with database, CD Ripper, Network Streamer
• Playback of DSD64 (2.8224MHz), DSD128 (5.6448MHz), DXD (24bit/352.8KHz), PCM signal up to 32bit/384KHz including
24bit/192KHz WAV/FLAC and full range of hi-res audio file formats
• ES9018K2M Sabre³² Reference DAC built-in
• XMOS 32Bit/500MIPS digital signal processing unit
• Phono INPUT (Moving Magnet) for turntable
• Load your vinyl and cassette tape collections to the X40 in 192kHz sample rate
• Music Streaming Services like Qobuz, Simfy and Internet Radio.
• UPnP Media Server & Renderer for streaming playback and control remotely via network.
• Supports up to 3.5" SATA hard disk 4TB, 2.5" hard disk and SSD
• FM Radio Tuner built-in
• Recording with hi-res 24bit/192KHz sample rate
deleted other features to save space

interesting!

this category is BUZZING!!!!
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
They would have been better of to write a list of things this thing doesn't do! Whatever you can think of, it does that plus more!
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(27-Feb-2015, 12:15)Pim van Vliet Wrote: They would have been better of to write a list of things this thing doesn't do! Whatever you can think of, it does that plus more!

Yes Smile Smile 

If only the come up with DAC -less and remove pre and power amp in it. 
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
I notice that it has AES/EBU output, which is ideal for the Devialet. Maybe it would sound quite good with the Dev? Yes, a shame it has DAC amp etc.!
(27-Feb-2015, 12:57)Confused Wrote: I notice that it has AES/EBU output, which is ideal for the Devialet.  Maybe it would sound quite good with the Dev?  Yes, a shame it has DAC amp etc.!

Plenty of dealers so shouldn't be difficult to arrange a demo.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Guillaume - Did you say you may conduct Audition? That would be fantastic even if this happens later.
( I'm in Bangalore india no such support here for home demo).

Does not seem to have USB output for Devialet 120 USB input.

I'm drafting email to Cocktail regarding removal of all analogs ( DAC, pre, amp) From their BOM.
I know this isn't exactly the same model but here is a review of the X30 which looks very similar (I'm wondering if the X40 doesn't just add DSD functionality).

http://www.whathifi.com/cocktail-audio/x30/review

Not a great review really and if I'm honest I don't really like the 5 inch screen thing and have no need for CD ripping. I had a look through the X40 manual and it seems as though there isn't a dedicated iPad app, although you can use UPnP control points for streaming with it.

Who knows, it might sound good with a digital out.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Afternoon all,

Just to be open about it, I work for the UK distributor for Cocktail Audio or NOVAFiDELITY (as it is now known in the UK). I've called out the major differences between the Cocktail Audio X30 and NOVAFiDELITY X40 below there is more info on our site: www.novafidelity.co.uk or the manufacturer's site cocktailaudio.com

FYI all new products (X40 / X12) have been released under the NOVAFiDELITY brand in the UK. The X30 was released before the brand name change hence it's still a CA unit. The X30 also got 5* from HiFi world, 4.5* recommended from HiFi Choice as well as a number of other positive reviews so worth checking out a few and making your own mind up.

Key differences between the X30 and X40 are as follows:

1) X40 does not have an amp / X30 has a 100W TI stereo digital Amp
2) X40 has the Sabre32 Reference DAC / X30 has a burr brown DAC
3) X40 has balanced (XLR) analogue outputs
4) X40 has a toroidal power supply
5) The X30 can record and play hi-res files (24bit), while the X40 also supports a full range of hi-res formats (DXD, DSD64, DSD128, PCM up to 32bit/384kHz etc. )
6) The X40 has a moving magnet pre-amp phono input, so you can connect and record from a Vinyl deck without the need for an external pre-amp.

They both have a similar features set when it comes to the software, i.e. they rip CDs (with album info and artwork), store/play music, record (with up to 192kHz sampling rate) stream to and from other devices via UPnP, work with a host of UPnP apps, have internet radio, FM radio, a web interface for controlling from a PC, etc.

Thanks
(27-Feb-2015, 18:07)phucbv Wrote: 1) X40 does not have an amp / X30 has a 100W TI stereo digital Amp

Just a suggestion:

This is good, the Power amp is removed from the BOM, but can they also remove Pre-amp and also DAC and make it pure processor and call it "Cocktail X-ND" network digital or something like that ...

there are lot of folks around (not just Devialet but many many audiophile) would like to use all the features on X40.