Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Ode to Duo Phantom Reactor 900's
Love my reactors! I don't think I would upgrade for a very long time.
Living Room: Devialet Dione
I was once a tube addict, constantly buying nos tube and expensive cables to reach the ultimate sound.
Now my tube system with huge horn speakers is collecting dust in my living room (see picture), I listen 90% of the time to my reactor 600s on my outdoor terrace and 10% of the time to my phantom gold in my living room, mainly for TV viewing.
In fact to my hear the Devialet phantom and reactor emulate perfectly the natural tube sound (never harsh or fatiguing, alway smooth with great vocals, deep and wide soundstage), only with more "muscle"  and deeper bass output, and no need fussing around with tubes components and cables.

2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
Enjoy seeing how others are setting up their Phantom Reactors.

The Legs for my duo Reactor 900's arrived, and I thought I'd share a pic of my setup.

As I mentioned in my original post I sold off my previous sound system which included various sets of speakers, subwoofers, components and cabling. 

I love the minimalism of my new Reactor rig. I'll need to clean up the visible cables. I like the fact that I'm mixing new tech with my capable 2006 Apple Mac Pro tower that I've customized to be a digital music server, with playback handled via Audirvana.

[Image: h3BAK62.jpg]
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i
(30-Dec-2019, 09:35)booshtukka Wrote: Agree with everything here. Except the lack of stability, the latency, the lack of IR for volume, and the lack of surround sound options.

Without these things I continue to have a need for alternatives. The unstable stereo is the most frustrating, because I am surely using the speakers exactly as intended (with dedicated gigabit Ethernet ports), so that’s just Devialet doing a bad job.

Hi,

unstable Stereo ?

No, with 2.9.0 and an ethernet câble between left and right, take priority over WIFI or CPL (plug ethernet and reboot).

Rock solid with low latency 60ms. (With wifi or CPL i can get only 80ms without distorsion between left and right)

For Stereo i recommend Ethernet between left and right speakers, and it works via STEREO created room nice with AIRPLAY,BLUETOOTH, or ADC, or optical. 

Smile
IMAC -> MOTU 8A -> TOSLINK -> PHANTOM I RIGHT AUX OPTICAL INPUT-> ETHERNET CABLE between LEFT and RIGHT (60ms):  2X Phantom I 103 dB (2021) in STEREO MODE DOS 2.12.3 - app 1.14
(02-Jan-2020, 09:01)RMK Wrote: Love my reactors! I don't think I would upgrade for a very long time.

Hi,

I fall in love with Reactors too Smile
IMAC -> MOTU 8A -> TOSLINK -> PHANTOM I RIGHT AUX OPTICAL INPUT-> ETHERNET CABLE between LEFT and RIGHT (60ms):  2X Phantom I 103 dB (2021) in STEREO MODE DOS 2.12.3 - app 1.14
(27-Feb-2020, 23:23)ofrappier Wrote: unstable Stereo ?

No, with 2.9.0 and an ethernet câble between left and right, take priority over WIFI or CPL (plug ethernet and reboot).

I am using gigabit ethernet, as I stated. When I wrote this post, 2.9.0 was not released. I can confirm the stereo is stable again at 60ms with 2.9.0.

My other points stand. I still love them. Smile
Do you have any other option aside the MiniDSP SHD STUDIO, but on the more affordable side?
You Can build your own roomcorrection using a pc, mic (umik) and rew software. But i have no expierence with this so cant tell about how difficult it is. Check google. MiniDSP also has cheaper all digital (openDRC / no DAC) solutions without dirac (you pay for the dirac software). I think you can create profiles with a plug in or rew and use these on the MiniDSP devices.