Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Antipodes DXe (DV)
Antipodes said that the Roon integration would be very soon, as well as some other (good) surprises.
I kind of like the Squeezebox interface. I'm used to it, it works well, and it's non-proprietary so it doesn't stand or fall on one company's priorities.

The Hegel 360 does seem like a serious option.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

(25-Sep-2015, 02:43)AaronG Wrote: I kind of like the Squeezebox interface. I'm used to it, it works well, and it's non-proprietary so it doesn't stand or fall on one company's priorities.

It was a great interface some 6 or 7 years ago when I got a SqueezeBox Touch (Around AU$350) and a Vortexbox appliance (AU$750) but now it is 2015 and I have an AU$8500 Antipodes DX using the basically the same interface.
For me it is now just OK. The DX deserves better.
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
I agree. I'm just saying that it works, like Word Perfect 5.1 worked. I regret all the feature-loaded MS Word versions that followed.

Any up dates on Antipodes please? Any further upgrades, how is Roon working?
Boenicke, Mola Mola, Hi Diamond, fidata, Lumin, AQVOX, SteinMusic, Bybee, toetapaudio
I bought an Antipodes DS a couple of months ago. It comes with Roon Server and Roon Ready software pre-installed and Roon works flawlessly. Depending on how you configure it you can use Roon as a server to send music to your Devialet using their integration of Devialet AIR or you can use the Roon Ready output options of the Antipodes. I configure Roon Server to use the Roon Ready options and use the USB output of the Antipodes to connect to my 130's USB input. I find that approach sounds a little bit better to me than using the AIR output and streaming to the 130 over ethernet.

All current Antipodes servers have the same options with Roon.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Does antipode manage via Roon/Tidal full MQA decode and stream it to Air Devialet Ethernet ?
(03-Oct-2017, 09:21)Amelot75 Wrote: Does antipode manage via Roon/Tidal full MQA decode and stream it to Air Devialet Ethernet ?

Roon works great on the Antipodes. Entirely integrated. I stream via Roon Air from the Antipodes to the Devialet and it sounds terrific. I love it, and best customer service out there.

Roon doesn't have the full MQA running yet. They will and then I'm sure MQA will stream too -- the MQA stats already shows up on the output info. It is unclear whether it will be the full MQA unfold since that has to happen in the Devialet as well (from what I understand). I haven't tried running Tidal independent of Roon via the Squeezebox server, so I don't know if that works or not.

Hi AaronG,
How antipodes does compare to roon/air sq wise?
Doest it worth the investment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Antipodes seem to believe that USB output will give you better results than using ethernet and roon/air only allows for wifi or ethernet. The Antipodes does not do wifi so that means roon/air from an Antipodes only works over ethernet.

Originally I was using Devialet AIR into the Devialet's ethernet input because I couldn't get wifi to work reliably from my Mac mini. I went to using roon/air over ethernet from the Mac and thought that sounded as good as or maybe slightly better than Devialet AIR but seemed a bit more reliable. Then I got the Antipodes. I tried both roon/air and the Antipodes roon ready USB connections from the Antipodes and feel that roon ready/USB sounds slightly better than roon/air over ethernet. Both sound very good but I think that USB is slightly better than what I get using roon/air over ethernet and that agrees with comments I've seen from Antipodes themselves. I haven't tried any tweaks on the USB connection and I wasn't using any high end USB cables with roon/air, just ordinary computer Cat 6 and 6A cabling. I don't know if I could have tweaked the ethernet connection to do better than the USB connection.

I definitely think I'm getting better sound using the Antipodes than I was streaming from my Mac and I'm glad I bought the Antipodes. I bought a DS which is a lot cheaper than a DX. I have no doubt the DX would improve on the sound I'm getting but I don't know by how much. Is it worth the investment? That's a decision you have to make for yourself but I would not go back to streaming from my Mac after using my DS for 7 weeks or so. I also wouldn't go back to roon/air from my DS after using the USB connection but I can use the USB connection because my DS is next to my Devialet. If it were in a different room then I'd have to use roon/air and I'd still prefer to use my DS and roon/air than stream from my Mac using roon/air.

For me, my DS is definitely worth the investment. I don't know if I would consider the DX worth the investment and I couldn't afford a DX anyway. I can tell you that I definitely think an Antipodes will give better sound quality than streaming from a computer but I can't tell you whether you are going to think that the improvement is worth the investment. You have to make your own value for money judgements, no one else can make that sort of judgement for you.

As for MQA, roon doesn't support it as yet though they say they're working on it and Devialet don't support it yet either though that may change when we see the new Core Infinity board in actual use.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(03-Oct-2017, 13:38)samsoum Wrote: Hi AaronG,
How antipodes does compare to roon/air sq wise?
Doest it worth the investment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a lot of problems with Devialet Air until Roon Air came out. In my system Roon Air from the Antipodes sounds better than USB Roon from the Antipodes which sounded much, much better than Devialet Air from the Mac. For me it's worth it because I run two systems from the Antipodes, I hate having a computer on all the time, and it sounds better than the other things I've tried. But I haven't compared Roon Air from the Mac and from the Antipodes.