Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antipodes S20 - alternative to Mutec MC3+USB?
I find the Mutec MC3+USB a tempting proposition but the appearance puts me off.
I suppose that one could always turn off the Xmas tree lights.
Then there is the baked in SMPS. I know that there are ways around that problem.

A chap in Ukraine sells modded Mutec with size matched case LPS
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mutec-MC-3-S...SwyhVcawgO

I noticed in that sellers other items for sale was an Antipodes P2 Reclocker which he claims blows the Mutec away.
The P2 was was part of the CX/EX modular add ons.
Now superseded by the S20 for use with any Antipodes server with a USB output.

https://antipodes.audio/antipodes-s20.php

I imagine that this could be used with any device with a USB output.
Antipodes would surely advise on this.

Food for thought.
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
From Antipodes re the S20

R1i Reclocker Board. This is a new reclocker board that completely isolates the input electronics from the reclocker and output electronics. This means a very significant sound quality improvement over the Antipodes P2. The R1i board is used in the K50 and S20.
I had excellent results from the Mutec MC3+USB when used with my Expert D800, and others reported similar. So in other words, it should work well with a D200.

It was interesting to me that the MC3+USB did not seem to offer any kind of improvement over using AIR with the Pro, which is why I upgraded to using the Mutec REF10 +MC3+USB solution after I got my Pro.

It occurs to be that the MC3+USB is a relatively old product, it's been out maybe 6 years now? So it might be worth seeing if you could pick one up secondhand?

The Antipodes looks interesting, but for me I will be sticking with the MC3+USB, because the Antipodes does not allow the use of a 10MHz reference clock. That said, the Antipodes is likely the be the better product. Although I would be interested to know exactly what clock it is using. The clock matters far more for S/PDIF than it does for USB, so I would be very interested to know the clock phase noise specs and similar for the Antipodes, with out this it is difficult to judge just how good it might be.

There are also many other decent alternatives, some of them highly cost effective.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Digital-...ht=singxer

It might be worth investigating the Singxer SU-6, Gustard U12 and similar?

EDIT: It also occurs to me that the costs of some of the above represent a large proportion of the cost to upgrade from D200 to 220Pro. Are you not tempted to go this route?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(30-Nov-2020, 16:14)Confused Wrote: I had excellent results from the Mutec MC3+USB when used with my Expert D800, and others reported similar.  So in other words, it should work well with a D200.

It was interesting to me that the MC3+USB did not seem to offer any kind of improvement over using AIR with the Pro, which is why I upgraded to using The Mutec REF10 +MC3+USB solution after I got my Pro.

It occurs to be that the MC3+USB is a relatively old product, it's been out maybe 6 years now?  So it might be worth seeing if you could pick one up secondhand?

The Antipodes looks interesting, but for me I will be sticking with the MC3+USB, because the Antipodes does not allow the use of a 10MHz reference clock.  That said, the Antipodes is likely the be the better product.  Although I would be interested to know exactly what clock it is using.  The clock matters far more for S/PDIF than it does for USB, so I would be very interested to know the clock phase noise specs and similar for the Antipodes, with out this it is difficult to judge just how good it might be.

There are also many other decent alternatives, some of them highly cost effective.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Digital-...ht=singxer

It might be worth investigating the Singxer SU-6, Gustard U12 and similar?

EDIT: It also occurs to me that the costs of some of the above represent a large proportion of the cost to upgrade from D200 to 220Pro.  Are you not tempted to go this route?ttt

Thanks for your advice and recommendations.
Personally I feel that it is past the time that an upgrade from D200 to D220 is worthwhile.
If there is life left in the "Evo" path then the next step shouldn't be far away.
The pace of digital audio development is relentless and really the Devialet platform hasn't been evolving enough to keep up.
The dream of a simple elegant solution with minimal boxes of electronics has evolved into
multiple LPS, Mutecs or similar, external word clocks, network switches, etc, with all the attendant cabling.
When I look at people's systems there is often a considerable box count.