Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Antoine's system
Hi all, long time no see, hope you guys are doing great! ??

Though I’m doing great I haven’t been around here (or anywhere in the audiophile scene) for quite some time. Not in an active way that is. I did visit the forum once in a while though to check ‘the news’ surrounding Devialet. I kinda lost interest in anything audiophile related, no particular reason. My interests shift every now and then and don’t expect to be the only one in this regard.

Haven’t touched my system (except for the remote  Tongue ) at all since last checking in so nothing exciting to report but yesterday I did send my D250 Pro back to France for its CI upgrade. I believe the invite to send it back was over a year old! It’s due to arrive there today. Of course I hope to receive it back soon in the same state I sent it back but with the CI inside.

Talk to you guys later!
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Nice to hear from you @Antoine ! I did the CI ugrade some time ago. No regrets on that. Devialet has added the 250 into the product line again which is good for us! I didn't understand why they removed it as the D1000 is two 250...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Hello again @Antoine - good to hear that you're still "with us" Devialet-wise. I hope you enjoy the CI upgrade. I held out for a long time -- while everyone else here tested and debugged it Smile -- but the upgrade itself went very smoothly and the CI-equipped 440 Pro is behaving very well. Looking forward to hearing what you make of it.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
@Antoine You're alive!

I am going to be completely honest here, you were such a regular contributor to this forum, then all of a sudden - nothing! I had assumed you were dead. (or maybe killed, following a dispute about valve amps or something)

Anyway, I am delighted to see you back. Good luck with the CI upgrade!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I worried too! Glad to see you back. It’s very healthy to have shifting interests too!! Smile

You’ve missed nothing of interest BTW!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(21-Nov-2018, 19:23)Confused Wrote: @Antoine You're alive!

I am going to be completely honest here, you were such a regular contributor to this forum, then all of a sudden - nothing!  I had assumed you were dead. 

Great minds think alike Confused. I actually sent Antoine a PM to check he was still alive. That's over a year ago! Welcome back Antoine. Looking forward to your tweaks.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Hi all, thank you so much for the warm welcomes back! Smile

I’ll update in more detail later, in a hurry now, but yesterday when I got home from work I saw I received an email from Judith about my D250 that had been sent back. When I checked the UPS tracking link I saw it was already delivered at my neighbours! So it’s back again! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
The 250 Pro with CI is now up and running. Just to be sure it was up to date I updated my config using the Configurator and just for giggles I also made a separate config with WiFi enabled on a second SD card. It was running 13.0 / DOS 2.2.3 (no typo, really 2.2.3)

I shortly tested both Roon AIR and Airplay and those worked out of the box. Roon AIR actually sounded great but mind you I didn't compare to my streaming setup. Perhaps I will sometime in the future. The several Youtube Airplay tests I did sounded dull and with fat/sloppy bass but I do like this feature (and it could of course also have been the source material Smile)

Other updates; earlier I wrote I didn't touch my system but this was only partly true. Earlier this year I did buy a new TV, a 55" LG OLED C8 which replaced my previous Panny plasma. Very happy with the LG and to also be able to view external 4k HDR content I had to update my HTPC (it needs HDMI2.0 and my previous setup was HDMI 1.4). So I swapped the mainboard, CPU and memory for ASRock B450 Gaming-ITZ/ac, AMD Ryzen 3 2200G CPU, 2x4GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz RAM.

I also bought the new 2018 model iPad Pro 12.9" to replace my 2015 model.

For audio, and I mentioned it here in a topic started by Confused: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-%C2%A320...2#pid80112 already I'm currently exploring the option to replace my SoTM SMS-200 with a NUC endpoint. It'll become diskless, run in a fanless Akasa chassis and will run Audiolinux (http://www.audio-linux.com/) in RAM. It will boot from a USB memory stick. For this I became 'inspired' by the great guys and gals here: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...streaming/

For this NUC I bought:

Intel NUC7PJYH Mini-PC Barebone
Ballistix DDR4 SODIMM Sport LT 1x4GB 2400Mhz memory
Akasa Newton JC fanless case
Kingston DataTraveler 50 32GB (a simple&cheap USB stick)

Yesterday I also ordered a 'Gotham JSSG360' DC lead from Ghent Audio (https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-gac4.html) as the NUC needs a 5.5/2.5mm DC plug. The other side of the cable has a 4pin Neutrik XLR plug so I can connect it to my Hynes SR-7 PSU.

For now I will keep my current DIY music server and try out AudioLinux on it as well. It’ll be the Roon Server and the NUC will become the Roon endpoint. Both will be powered by my Hynes SR7 PSU.

Since people at CA are still experimenting to find the sweet spot in the NUC hardware line up I might later upgrade to an i7 NUC and/or also replace my current music server. The 'Pentium Silver' CPU based NUC I bought is very affordable and can easily be powered by a low power rail of my SR-7.

I bricked the NUC after changing a specific graphics related BIOS setting. This should of course never be possible so I blame Intel for delivering a buggy device. I've RMA'ed it and am urrently waiting for it to be replaced after which I can continue the build and setup process.

The Netherlands
(05-Dec-2018, 15:01)Antoine Wrote: The 250 Pro with CI is now up and running. Just to be sure it was up to date I updated my config using the Configurator and just for giggles I also made a separate config with WiFi enabled on a second SD card. It was running 13.0 / DOS 2.2.3 (no typo, really 2.2.3)

I shortly tested both Roon AIR and Airplay and those worked out of the box. Roon AIR actually sounded great but mind you I didn't compare to my streaming setup. Perhaps I will sometime in the future. The several Youtube Airplay tests I did sounded dull and with fat/sloppy bass but I do like this feature (and it could of course also have been the source material Smile)

Other updates; earlier I wrote I didn't touch my system but this was only partly true. Earlier this year I did buy a new TV, a 55" LG OLED C8 which replaced my previous Panny plasma. Very happy with the LG and to also be able to view external 4k HDR content I had to update my HTPC (it needs HDMI2.0 and my previous setup was HDMI 1.4). So I swapped the mainboard, CPU and memory for ASRock B450 Gaming-ITZ/ac, AMD Ryzen 3 2200G CPU, 2x4GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz RAM.

I also bought the new 2018 model iPad Pro 12.9" to replace my 2015 model.

For audio, and I mentioned it here in a topic started by Confused: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-%C2%A320...2#pid80112 already I'm currently exploring the option to replace my SoTM SMS-200 with a NUC endpoint. It'll become diskless, run in a fanless Akasa chassis and will run Audiolinux (http://www.audio-linux.com/) in RAM. It will boot from a USB memory stick. For this I became 'inspired' by the great guys and gals here: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...streaming/

For this NUC I bought:

Intel NUC7PJYH Mini-PC Barebone
Ballistix DDR4 SODIMM Sport LT 1x4GB 2400Mhz memory
Akasa Newton JC fanless case
Kingston DataTraveler 50 32GB (a simple&cheap USB stick)

Yesterday I also ordered a 'Gotham JSSG360' DC lead from Ghent Audio (https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-gac4.html) as the NUC needs a 5.5/2.5mm DC plug. The other side of the cable has a 4pin Neutrik XLR plug so I can connect it to my Hynes SR-7 PSU.

For now I will keep my current DIY music server and try out AudioLinux on it as well. It’ll be the Roon Server and the NUC will become the Roon endpoint. Both will be powered by my Hynes SR7 PSU.

Since people at CA are still experimenting to find the sweet spot in the NUC hardware line up I might later upgrade to an i7 NUC and/or also replace my current music server. The 'Pentium Silver' CPU based NUC I bought is very affordable and can easily be powered by a low power rail of my SR-7.

I bricked the NUC after changing a specific graphics related BIOS setting. This should of course never be possible so I blame Intel for delivering a buggy device. I've RMA'ed it and am urrently waiting for it to be replaced after which I can continue the build and setup process.

great post ... 

many think Audio setup is soooo easy, throw big bucks, flick a switch & its sonic nirvana ... BUT it is never that way ...  Sad 

You gotta work hard and do it 'right' for it to sound great ... like @Antoine I too am on the job with my setup and working on my room acoustics & placements right now ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(05-Dec-2018, 15:36)audio_engr Wrote: great post ... 

many think Audio setup is soooo easy, throw big bucks, flick a switch & its sonic nirvana ... BUT it is never that way ...  Sad 

You gotta work hard and do it 'right' for it to sound great ... like @Antoine I too am on the job with my setup and working on my room acoustics & placements right now ...

Thanks audio_engr, couldn’t agree more about what you said about it being easy. There’s so many variables. It takes quite a lot of effort, sometimes trial and error, to tune a system to get the best out if it. As long as we enjoy doing so we should be alright! Smile

The Netherlands