Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any difference in Direct Optical mode between DOS 1 & DOS 2?
Not sure how many people are using Direct Optical mode?   And then compared the performance between DOS 1 and DOS 2?   Is the latency the same or worse?

A while ago, set up some Phantoms for someone using Direct Optical Mode and Dante.  But they are still on DOS 1 and are reluctant to upgrade.  DOS 2 is supposed to be more reliable and sound a bit better, but for someone who has had no issues, these are not "must do" reasons to upgrade.
(30-Oct-2021, 06:54)Snoopy8 Wrote: And then compared the performance between DOS 1 and DOS 2?   Is the latency the same or worse?

A while ago, set up some Phantoms for someone using Direct Optical Mode and Dante.  But they are still on DOS 1 and are reluctant to upgrade.  DOS 2 is supposed to be more reliable and sound a bit better, but for someone who has had no issues, these are not "must do" reasons to upgrade.

I saw no reason to upgrade until one Phantom 'reset' itself thereby disabling Direct Optical mode.
Only then did I discover that the Devialet app, required to enable Direct Optical mode, would no longer function with the current version of IOS on an iPad.

The upgrade was, more or less straightforward, although the subsequent updates were a little more troublesome.

To my ears, I noticed no obvious differences either in sound or latency.

However, I did uncover a bug!!!! Quelle surprise.

Once a speaker has been set to a specific input channel, left or right, all is good UNTIL you reset the speaker by any of the appropriate methods.  Once restarted, the speaker will default back to 'mono mix', i.e. both left and right, despite the option retaining the previous channel selection. (Nb - this is only apparent if a stereo signal is input).

I have reported this and Devialet have recreated the problem.  The correction almost made the current beta but alas not this time.

However, there is a work around.
Once started, via the Web configuration, simply select 'mono mix' and then reselect the appropriate channel.
Thank you @alandbush. I did not realise that old app does not work on current iOS devices. That alone should be enough reason to move to DOS 2. Regarding the bug, not an issue because Phantoms are used in mono.
I asked my Devialet rep if I should move to DOS2 from DOS1 and he said no... in my case my phantoms are mounted and don't have easy access to an ethernet connection. You need an active ethernet connection to enable DOS2 on the Phantom 1. So he said it wasn't worth the effort to do the migration and I should just stick with DOS1.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(01-Nov-2021, 20:40)njaiswal Wrote: I asked my Devialet rep if I should move to DOS2 from DOS1 and he said no... in my case my phantoms are mounted and don't have easy access to an ethernet connection.  You need an active ethernet connection to enable DOS2 on the Phantom 1.  So he said it wasn't worth the effort to do the migration and I should just stick with DOS1.

You raise an interesting point.  While that setup that I installed has easy access to an ethernet cable & connection. the internet access is poor. So, to migrate from DOS 1 to DOS 2, the Phantoms have to be unmounted, driven 2 hours home and upgraded. Then returned to be mounted and re-connected, checked etc.   Not exactly a trivial exercise...   Huh
(01-Nov-2021, 22:15)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(01-Nov-2021, 20:40)njaiswal Wrote: I asked my Devialet rep if I should move to DOS2 from DOS1 and he said no... in my case my phantoms are mounted and don't have easy access to an ethernet connection.  You need an active ethernet connection to enable DOS2 on the Phantom 1.  So he said it wasn't worth the effort to do the migration and I should just stick with DOS1.

You raise an interesting point.  While that setup that I installed has easy access to an ethernet cable & connection. the internet access is poor. So, to migrate from DOS 1 to DOS 2, the Phantoms have to be unmounted, driven 2 hours home and upgraded. Then returned to be mounted and re-connected, checked etc.   Not exactly a trivial exercise...   Huh

I’ve asked Devialet to allow enabling optical direct with only wifi access but that hasn’t been a priority for them. And i mis-wrote above. You can do a dos1 to DOS2 upgrade via Wi-Fi. But you need the phantoms wired to Ethernet to enable optical direct mode.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(02-Nov-2021, 02:43)njaiswal Wrote: I’ve asked Devialet to allow enabling optical direct with only wifi access but that hasn’t been a priority for them. And i mis-wrote above. You can do a dos1 to DOS2 upgrade via Wi-Fi. But you need the phantoms wired to Ethernet to enable optical direct mode.
Thank you for the clarification. That is indeed strange why direct optical mode cannot be enabled via wifi in DOS 2. I thought it was a matter of accessing a web page on the Phantom ???
(02-Nov-2021, 04:00)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(02-Nov-2021, 02:43)njaiswal Wrote: I’ve asked Devialet to allow enabling optical direct with only wifi access but that hasn’t been a priority for them. And i mis-wrote above. You can do a dos1 to DOS2 upgrade via Wi-Fi. But you need the phantoms wired to Ethernet to enable optical direct mode.
Thank you for the clarification. That is indeed strange why direct optical mode cannot be enabled via wifi in DOS 2.  I thought it was a matter of accessing a web page on the Phantom ???
It seems like laziness on the development team's part... There should be no bearing on the connectivity type to enable direct optical mode.  If you aren't connected via Ethernet, then you don't even get the option of selecting direct optical mode as an option.