Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyway to increase PERCEIVED Resolution?
LOVE the Phantom system. It really is groundbreaking paradigm!

There are only two fly in the ointment for us: 
1. It is not always stable.  That's a different question. A traditional system with source, amp and speakers is just rock solid - turn on, have music.  Mine is 95% stable. So OK. 

2. Resolution in the upper mids and highs does not quite achieve what I am used to and desire.  I have heard a number of sub US$2.5k and even down to the $600 speakers in my home that has significantly higher resolution in the upper mids and especially the trebles. The higher resolution makes music more real than just sounding like midfi speakers would sound. 

Questions -I'm not sure if the perception of lower resolution really is there, or  if it is a result of room control due to the extended bass.  Does anyone use software such as DIRAC or hardware such as Dspeaker Dual Core to control room 'modes'.  Did it increase the perception of resolution in the trebles? 

If I can solve #1 and #2, the Phantom would be without peer in its price range for me.  And the fact that it is small and transportable is a huge huge hugs plus!

Thanks!
The Phantoms are without peer for their size. There are aspects which are bettered by other speakers which are the treble and bass slam. They go deep but when compared to a speaker that moves a huge amount of air they are close but not quite in the same ball park. Treble is to me a bit subdued compared with many traditional speakers. Putting aside the inability of Devialet to sort Spark and the many irritations associated, I have no regrets buying them.
MountainGuy, what happens when you turn on the Night Mode. Doesn't that drop the gain of the bass a bit, or is it a high-pass filter. If either of those is the case, what do the mid-highs to highs sound like then?

I know that you and i are used to the Anthony Gallo 3.x and few things other than a ribbon or beryllium tweeter will stand up to our Gallos. I'm not expecting the phantoms to do what the Gallos do as far as detailed yet silky highs, though i'd love to be wrong.
Addressing your headline only, ie PERCEIVED Resolution.

Alcohol, or another drug of your choice.
(16-May-2016, 02:25)Gremlin Wrote: Addressing your headline only, ie PERCEIVED Resolution.

Alcohol, or another drug of your choice.

Well, i think alcohol decreases the perceived resolution. LSD does wonders though Tongue