Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apheta issue on rp10
(05-Oct-2022, 15:37)ciptip Wrote: Hi there, now I have an apheta2 mounted, but the sound volume is too low, I'm not sure about the settings with the new cartridge. Does anyone know about these settings on a dev120?

I also own a 120 and my experience with a low output MC straight into the phono input was unsatisfactory. 
To set the phono, you should the output voltage of your cartridge so that the gain would be adjusted; the 120 would not allow you to control the input impedance, instead, leaving it at 47 kohm while your cartridge might prefer something below 200 ohm.

My solution was to introduce a step up transformer. For your cartridge, I think you should go with a 1:20 transformer: this would give a voltage seen by the phono equivalent to 7mV and would allow the cartridge to see the (optimal) impedance of 118 ohm. 

I would expect that, with comparable noise floor and distortion, you'd have a much fuller sound and no fatiguing highs (which was my main concern).

There's plenty of 1:20 transformers around. If you are on a budget, please look for offering from eBay in Japan. Otherwise, people rave for the Sculpture A Mini Nano.
Thanks indeed!
Le120-Aries-RP10/Apheta-Magnat MCD850-Tannoy DC8-Cabledyne&Anticables