Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple Music
Anyone subscribed to Apple Music service? If yes, what do you think of the quality on playback?

In China, Apple Music is cheap (less than USD2.7 per month).
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Wouldn't it be cool if we can stream Apple Music playlists on our iPhone/iPad using Devialet AIR to our Expert system? Do anyone manage to achieve this?
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(10-Oct-2015, 12:52)hk6230 Wrote: Wouldn't it be cool if we can stream Apple Music playlists on our iPhone/iPad using Devialet AIR to our Expert system? Do anyone manage to achieve this?

I don't think this is doable. The Devialet application on the iPhone is capable of streaming using Air, but only local files in the phone or tablet. The only two possibilities I can think of are either to use a mac or a PC, iTunes and Dev Air or to use an apple express airport or an apple TV and use Airplay instead of Air.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Been listening to Apple Music (AM) from my Win10 tablet via AIR 2.1.3 to my Le200 for about 3 weeks now. In my opinion, AM is doing a great job versus Spotify, Tidal and Deezer. It may only streams at 256kbps AAC, but I find it is quite listenable for most POP, R&B music. Its selections and playlists are its key strengths, too. And, with its financial strength over all its competitors, I can foresee that AM will be the market leader on streaming music service.

Soon, Sonos will support AM and I will most likely cut off Tidal, too.

(20-Oct-2015, 02:58)hk6230 Wrote: Been listening to Apple Music (AM) from my Win10 tablet via AIR 2.1.3 to my Le200 for about 3 weeks now. In my opinion, AM is doing a great job versus Spotify, Tidal and Deezer. It may only streams at 256kbps AAC, but I find it is quite listenable for most POP, R&B music. Its selections and playlists are its key strengths, too. And, with its financial strength over all its competitors, I can foresee that AM will be the market leader on streaming music service.

Soon, Sonos will support AM and I will most likely cut off Tidal, too.

I agree, in most situation, well done 256kbps AAC is very hard if not impossible to distinguish from Lossless. I played the trick and fooled more than handful of audiophile friends by telling them only after the fact that what they were finding so fantastic was 256kps AAC. 

There can be a few pathological situations, like with very high pitches, or harpsichords where it is spotable without doing a painful ABX comparison, but as I was saying previously, if I can find a lossless source, I'm buying it for the sake of being on the safe side. If on the other hand, the only convenient source that I find is iTunes Music Store (256kbps AAC) I won't bend backward to find a lossless source, I can leave very happily with it.

So yes I share your opinion that 256kps AAC for streaming will be superior to most other lossy streaming offer.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France