Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple buying Tidal.
I use Tidal a lot and now Apple is thinking of buying it, how will this affect us users in the future that use Tidal through a third part for example? I use Bubble upnp app on Android to play Tidal. 

Anyone here tried both Tidal and Qobuz?
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(03-Jul-2016, 13:26)octaviars Wrote: Anyone here tried both Tidal and Qobuz?

Yes, I'm a very happy long-term Qobuz customer and have tried Tidal twice once on launch and again last summer when I had an Aurender on home demo.  I much prefer the Qobuz service - their catalogue is very good and I have only very rarely experienced any disruption to service - stuttering etc.  Their desktop app for OS X is very good and SQ isnt far off that from locally ripped CDs.  Its also possible to buy a wide range of downloads from them including hires often at discounted prices.  For me there's nothing not to like about Qobuz.  Tidal also has an excellent catalogue though probably not as strong as Qobuz for classical and they don't include album booklets.  I did experience some technical issues both times I tried Tidal - mainly stuttering (I know quite a few people have suffered from this) and I found quite a few of their albums were not 16-bit FLAc but rather MP3 which was a bit surprising.  There didnt seem any reason for me to switch from Qobuz to Tidal.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Thanks for the answer, I will look in to Qobuz a bit more to see how it works. Do they have any trial period?
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

(03-Jul-2016, 15:58)PhilP Wrote: Their desktop app for OS X is very good and SQ isnt far off that from locally ripped CDs.  

I agree, it's excellent.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(03-Jul-2016, 17:09)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(03-Jul-2016, 15:58)PhilP Wrote: Their desktop app for OS X is very good and SQ isnt far off that from locally ripped CDs.  

I agree, it's excellent.

Guillaume

I dont have any Apple products only PC and Android in my house.

Second system

We gave up Tidal in favour of Deezer Elite, which has a wider music selection than Tidal, and equivalent sound quality to my ears. Qobuz isn't available in north america, so any comparison here is impossible.

I think that Tidal and Qobuz are important for keeping up demand for CD quality streaming and I hope that if Apple buys Tidal that the HQ emphasis will not be lost. But it is a point also worth remembering that any of these streaming services, especially the more expensive services, are more fragile in terms of market share and long-term presence. Tidal was nearly dead last year. So, whether or not you like Apple or have any Apply products, if a service like Tidal gets a more solid financial footing, then that is important. Anybody with an Aurender or any other streamer that only links to Tidal should be concerned about the future of that particular box.

Finally, Apple is much too shrewd to make their service Apple-only in terms of access.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(03-Jul-2016, 17:39)octaviars Wrote:
(03-Jul-2016, 17:09)GuillaumeB Wrote:

I agree, it's excellent.

Guillaume

I dont have any Apple products only PC and Android in my house.

There are desktop apps for various versions of Windows and Andoid but I've never tried them Wink

The free trial period is 15 days - I don't know if that varies by region.  Hope it works out for you.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(03-Jul-2016, 20:09)Damon Wrote: We gave up Tidal in favour of Deezer Elite, which has a wider music selection than Tidal, and equivalent sound quality to my ears. Qobuz isn't available in north america, so any comparison here is impossible.

I think that Tidal and Qobuz are important for keeping up demand for CD quality streaming and I hope that if Apple buys Tidal that the HQ emphasis will not be lost. But it is a point also worth remembering that any of these streaming services, especially the more expensive services, are more fragile in terms of market share and long-term presence. Tidal was nearly dead last year. So, whether or not you like Apple or have any Apply products, if a service like Tidal gets a more solid financial footing, then that is important. Anybody with an Aurender or any other streamer that only links to Tidal should be concerned about the future of that particular box.

Finally, Apple is much too shrewd to make their service Apple-only in terms of access.

Good Point D. Hope they dont call it "Apple-t" or "tipple" Smile kidding ... Anyways lets hope for the best. Currently my fav on Roon is Tidal.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
(03-Jul-2016, 20:09)Damon Wrote: Finally, Apple is much too shrewd to make their service Apple-only in terms of access.

I think that's a bit of a stretch, Apple will do what is in their best interest to make the most money possible.

IMO, they would have no problem shutting it down and trying to move everyone to Apple Music.  They believe in a tightly controlled closed eco-system.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Apple Music is not restricted to Apple products only, so that should indicate something?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12