Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arch and volume control on input
Hello, a quick question on Arch: if set to a line input, will I be able to control the volume played by Phantoms by controlling the volume on the source (line outputting device), without the need to use Devialet App / setting volume on Arch directly?

A bit of explanation of my problem and a considered potential solution:

I have my Phantoms connected to a TV, currently directly through an optical cable. My TV (Sony A90J) does not allow me to change the volume levels on the optical cable, which means the only way to adjust the listening volume is through Devialet App. This is something I would like to change, as I want a simple one remote solution, so that e.g. in a loud movie scene I can quickly turn down the volume using the TV remote next to me.

As a potential solution, my thinking is to get the sound out of the TV using HDMI eARC, which will allow TV to set the volume and pass that information to the receiver. Thus I would get a standard AV amplifier (e.g., from Sony) with eARC support, which then would output using standard line connection to Arch. Then obviously, Arch would pass the sound to my Phantoms. Am I correct in thinking this solution would work as intended? 

[Bonus question: could I technically then use other channel outputs on the receiver to achieve a say stereo (Phantoms) + centre speaker solution? Or would there be a delay introduced so the Phantoms would not be in sync with the other speaker(s) connected directly to the AV receiver. Alternatively, could I get one more Arch, and say set of Reactors connected to the Arch to set them up as my rear channel. Would this keep them in sync then?]

Also on the side, I am currently plugging my turntable into the Arch, but I would assume it would be ok to buy a standard pre-amp for the turntable, which then I could connect with the AV receiver and use the input selection on the receiver to decide if I want to listen to my TV or to the turntable.

Is life that simple or am I missing something? Thanks for help!
sure you can set the the volume to some 'max' level and adjust down from the source.
early models will have a bit more of a noise floor than late models.
meaning you will hear the early ones hiss a bit more with no signal.
but probably not much after 2018

one might say, simple is in the eye of the beholder. admittedly, i dont use any of my phantoms with my tv system. they are for audio sources. Wink makes keeping things in sync real easy... sometimes i use bt headphones with the TV and it drives me nuts...

your tolerance for sync and equipment or ability to correct it or good luck will likely be the problem when using the phantoms for Video. seems like you are already doing it so should work if you like it now...

multi-channel solutions more than Left/Right require using direct optical to map the different channels.

YMMV Wink

if you dont like the sync results then you need to correct for that or bypass the network interfaces and use the Optical inputs in Direct mode. which starts you down the rabbit hole amassing racks of equipment. and if you think that simple and have the right budget (meaning either you know what will work , hire someone that knows what does, or spend the $$$ and time figuring it out) then this is a great option for those that have the right disposition. Wink

love to try it but thats not simple to me... Wink

regards
scott-