Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Extractor for TV?
Hello, I bought this LG OLED TV https://www.lg.com/it/tv/lg-oled55c16la

I mostly watch Netflix and Amazon Prime movies and series that have 5.1 multi-channel audio including Dolby Atmos.

I'm undecided whether to get a soundbar or two 98db Phantom II.

The soundbar is convenient for connections, I connect the TV with HDMI 2.1 eARC cable to the input of the HDMI 2.1 eARC soundbar, everything is perfect.

If I use the Phantom II, what should I do to not lose sound quality?
Should I buy an audio extractor that has HDMI 2.1 inputs and optical output like this?
https://www.thenaudio.com/

If you have any solutions or advice I would be very grateful, thank you.

Marco
Hi Marco,

I saw 1x S/PDIF (audio out) on the spec sheet, if the model that you purchased shares the same spec then I'll recommend you go for a decent cable (etc. Audioquest). The only thing I'll avoid is not to use 3.5 mini jack. (a lot of noise and sounds bad)

If the TV does not offer S/PDIF then TV --- HDMI 2.1 --- Audio extractor --- Optical out --- Phantom 98dB is the best solution. (audio extractor makes a lot of different so make sure you choose a nice one)
HDMI is a nice solution since TV doesn't need to convert 2x digital to analog.
(07-Dec-2021, 06:51)eric871052 Wrote: Hi Marco,

I saw 1x S/PDIF (audio out) on the spec sheet, if the model that you purchased shares the same spec then I'll recommend you go for a decent cable (etc. Audioquest). The only thing I'll avoid is not to use 3.5 mini jack. (a lot of noise and sounds bad)

If the TV does not offer S/PDIF then TV --- HDMI 2.1 --- Audio extractor --- Optical out ---  Phantom 98dB is the best solution. (audio extractor makes a lot of different so make sure you choose a nice one)
HDMI is a nice solution since TV doesn't need to convert 2x digital to analog.

Hi Eric,
thanks for your answer, the TV has optical output.
At this point I agree to use this.
Keep in mind the phantoms have a sound delay.
2 Phantom silver, 2 reactor 900
Hi both,

If you're not using it as a gaming system, sound delay can be fixed by adjusting the image delay on TV
I'm thinking about audio extractor as well, but only for one reason - volume adjustment.
The Toslink optical digital audio out does not allow to change volume via your TV remote, which is a big no go for me. I won't open an app to change volume on Devialet directly, neither will I use a second remote for that.

But I'm not sure the audio extractor would help here. The Tv would allow to change the volume up to the audio extractor, but would the extractor modify the volume through the Toslink cable up to the speker? Any ideas?
Hi Kepete,

Yes, even if you have a audio extractor you still have to use APP or Remote to control volume. (Toslink out to Phantom II)
If you use 3.5 mini jack out to Phantom II, you'll have to adjust both your TV and Phantom II volume which might be the answer you're looking for. (But I'm not sure if every time you changing source the volume will remain the default setting.

But you should avoid mini jack output from TV.