Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
(19-Jul-2020, 18:24)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: Thank you for this beautiful and direct answer.

You're most welcome !    Smile

I also wish to ADD that so far after installing the EtherREGEN, I have not experienced any sort of typical issues with Roon RAAT. However, its my hunch that Roon 571 Build is not glitch-free and possibly a further Roon build update can help to eliminate the RAAT problem with Devialet when using a 100M port to feed it for those [ few ] that may still face the issues.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(19-Jul-2020, 18:06)audio_engr Wrote:                   
I will try and explain briefly the differences between :

DIRECT hookup  vs.  Gigabit SWITCHED hookup  vs.  EtherREGEN hookup

Direct :  There is an increase in immediacy of the sound, you start to see the performers more distinctly, the harmonic separation is quite distinct, the soundstage is wide and expansive but not proportionally deep. Also, the texture of the sound is so clean and it sounds "a bit lean". The sound is still very engaging and you tend to feel you are seated just a few rows from the stage of the performance. 

Gigabit Switched :  All that discussed above stays the same EXCEPT 
( 1 ) that leaness is now gone and the sound texture becomes more wholesome, slightly rounded
( 2 ) you feel you are now seated mid hall and more depth of the soundstage re-appears

EtherREGEN Switched :  The texture of the sound is much more wholesome, instruments are more blended well with each other that makes the overall presentation extremely cohesive yet beautifully defined. The soundstage width, depth & height is very true to real life, never over exaggerated yet not shrunk either. There is warmth in the playback in a very nice way. You still continue to feel seated mid hall and the hall ambience is now into you. The soundstage is quite 3-dimensional. The overall playback is extremely relaxed with no sharp edges of any sort even at higher listening levels thus enjoyment grows on you. You can listen for hours without hints of any strain. 

P.S. : I've just had the ER for 2 days now, continuously running and yet to cross the 100 hours mark. I am also using the stock supplied power supply and not a LPS. The ER is connected to my PS Audio regenerator though. It is warm to touch but the chassis temperature is stable. Nothing alarming - its just like a Class-A power amp's heatsink temperature. 

I think that's a pretty good description of the differences between those connection methods. I'd say it differently and talk about clarity/transparency instead of immediacy, and natural instead of wholesome but in the end I think if I were to write my take on the 3 methods I wouldn't really be saying anything significantly different, just saying the same things differently. The big difference for me in the period just after I got my ER in January was noticing that I was paying less attention to aspects of the sound and more attention to aspects of the music. It's now 6 months since I got my ER and that hasn't changed.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(19-Jul-2020, 21:21)David A Wrote: The big difference for me in the period just after I got my ER in January was noticing that I was paying less attention to aspects of the sound and more attention to aspects of the music. 

Thank you David for the kind words. I too am finding that my playback has become immensely thrilling so much so that my mind is concentrating on the entire performance rather than nitpicking on individual instrumental lines.

There's another thing that I find is that my Listening level has come down by about 4 to 5 dB. With the background more blacker and quieter now, very low-level sonic nuances are wonderfully audible and you are no longer required to raise the listening level UP in order to hear these low-level stuff.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Hello, a used EtherREGEN is sold here! Maybe someone is interested!

https://www.audio-markt.de/en/market/upt...9742636131

https://www.audio-markt.de/market/uptone...9742636131
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Is there a way to know if Devialet is using the reclocked signal from EtherRegen with Roon RAAT?
In that case, the improvement observed by most folks here would absolutely make sense, because according to one of the post from SuperDad on AS forum, "EtherREGEN is designed as state-of-the-art isolation and reclocking for Ethernet".

I'm using EtherRegen with Trinnov Altitude, and it does not seem to be using the reclocked signal from EtherRegen. While using Roon RAAT source, the clock setting in Trinnov changes from Slave to Master. I need to check with Trinnov on how to change the clock setting to slave mode while using EtherRegen, but it seems counterintuitive to what they believe in..

Excerpt from Jon Herron's post on Roon forum. Jon is from Trinnov.
"However, most people find that the ethernet “Roon Ready” input sounds better than SPDIF or HDMI, presumably because we are allowed to use our excellent internal clocks when using the network connection (rather than being slaved to an external clock that is subject to more jitter). The networked Roon Ready connection also provides excellent integration into the Roon ecosystem. It is the only way I listen to music now."

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/connect...h/73060/15
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/clock-s...hyst/66381

I haven't tried EtherRegen on Devialet directly yet. I was hoping to get significant jump in sound quality with Trinnov because thats my primary interface.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(20-Jul-2020, 07:36)sam1000 Wrote: Is there a way to know if Devialet is using the reclocked signal from EtherRegen with Roon RAAT?

The Devialet must be recovering the Ethernet clock from the incoming Ethernet signal and using it to clock in the bits from the Ethernet interface, because that's simply how Ethernet works. However this clock is completely asynchronous to the audio sample clock and therefore should have no effect on the stability or precision of the clock the Devialet uses to process the audio data carried in the Ethernet frames.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks Ian.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
Has any of the EtherREGEN users observed that with the ER in their respective system, they are now Listening at a lower level than earlier without the ER ?
(20-Jul-2020, 21:00)audio_engr Wrote: Has any of the EtherREGEN users observed that with the ER in their respective system, they are now Listening at a lower level than earlier without the ER ?

I'd say no but in the past I have observed that I tend to listen at a lower level after a change which lowers the noise level and/or increases clarity and definition, especially on voices. I haven't really noticed a shift to listening at lower levels with the ER but then I tend to listen at lower levels to most people anyway so perhaps I was already down to my "threshold" level anyway. There is definitely a listening level I do not like to go below.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(20-Jul-2020, 21:00)audio_engr Wrote: Has any of the EtherREGEN users observed that with the ER in their respective system, they are now Listening at a lower level than earlier without the ER ?
No change to volume after ER added, but with a blacker background and less smearing of instruments, more details came through. Enjoyed the music a lot more...