Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auralic Aires G2
For the members that do not know me.
A few things about me. i’m not a spring chicken turned 65 last July, I am 100% deaf in my right ear, have been for 35 years.
So please take this post in the sprit it was meant, to let you all know there are nice toys out there.

Equipment list: 
Auralic Aires G2> Audience Au24 SE USB cable> Devialet 440 Pro CI (beta 14)> Auditorium 23 speaker cables> B&W 803D3

So here is my impression on the Auralic Aires G2 I purchased recently with my one EAR  Smile 
The build quality is fantastic, but it should be at the price point $3899.00 usd

Playing from the 2 TB internal hard drive I installed in the G2, I find the overall sound quality better than the Aurender N100H it replaced.

First I found it the background is blacker. The mid bass was tighter and cleaner. Male and female vocals are crisper. 
The air around instruments had increased. The placement of the instruments and vocals was rock solid with more dynamic range.

Friends have told me that the depth of field has increased, but I can not state that as only having one ear

Setup to WiFi (WiFi used to control the Lighting DA app only) and Tidal was easy, Auralic's own method of decoding MQA files works nicely. 
I like the idea of being able to turn the front screen off, it it shows the track being played for bout 3 seconds and then turns off.

The Lighting app works well, but I would like to be able easily to select only one track from an album, but for some reason
I always get the whole album (more learning on my side)

Reading on a couple of forums Devialet state that the best input to use is AES/EBU is the preferred input to use. So I borrowed a
Audience Au24 SX AES/EBU cable from a buddy (There latest cable) and did a BLIND A/B test with 3 different people at different
times. The overall winner every time was the USB output to the USB input on the Devialet, more open and dynamic.
We all found that to be strange, as the difference was not supple but major.

I think the Auralic Aires G2 is a keeper in my system  Big Grin

Brian

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

The G2 is a beauty. The software is being enhanced with some new features to be ROON approved. I've heart that the law of diminishing returns is into play when you use high res streaming and compare to devices half of the price. So although the G2 is the best the difference in high res streaming is subtle. Can you confirm this? Perhaps you had the opportunity to compare with the G1 (which does not have the opportunity to link an external master clock)?
Hello BrainT, maybe that helps! Rolleyes
Congratulations to the Aries G2.

https://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/art...y-an-Album
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Hello Brian - Thanks for sharing out the review and the pictures as well, I cannot tell by looking but does it take a full size 3.5" hard drive?

I used the Lightning software for quite some time before I switched to Roon, they have done a really good job of building out their playback software/library over the past few years. I actually used the Auralic Aries for quite some time, prior to my getting a Devialet, and subsequently an Aries Mini.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Not sure how it relates to performance (if at all) but their circuits and internals are very tidy and aesthetically pleasing. You know, in relative terms. Smile

Interesting about the USB.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Darn - I missed that last point about the USB connection being best, to echo Steve's comment, very interesting...
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Today I have seen the G1 at the Munich Highend Show. I had no chance to ask, what the differents between the G2 and the G1 are. Surely the one piece aluminium body. But the G1 seems to be the better offer.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
(13-May-2018, 17:57)Stino Wrote: The G2 is a beauty. The software is being enhanced with some new features to be ROON approved. I've heart that the law of diminishing returns is into play when you use high res streaming and compare to devices half of the price. So although the G2 is the best the difference in high res streaming is subtle. Can you confirm this? Perhaps you had the opportunity to compare with the G1 (which does not have the opportunity to link an external master clock)?

Stino

You are correct with the law of diminishing returns like all hi end audio, the G2 is nearly 
twice the price of the Aurender N100H but I do not get twice the sound from it, but what I get to me its worth it.

No I did not have a chance to check out the G1, but it sound like it could be a real winner.
The G2 is already a Roon end point, could it become a Roon Core Server lets hope so.

(13-May-2018, 18:01)K4680 Wrote: Hello BrainT, maybe that helps! Rolleyes 
Congratulations to the Aries G2.

https://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/art...y-an-Album

K4680

Thanks for posting the link, I had already checked that page out.
The problem I am having is trying to select a single track, if I tap on the track I want 
it will play that track and add all the files below to the playlist.

I have to find an simple way of add only one track

(13-May-2018, 19:34)baddog Wrote: Hello Brian - Thanks for sharing out the review and the pictures as well, I cannot tell by looking but does it take a full size 3.5" hard drive?
baddog

It takes a 2.5" drive, no limitations on the size.

Yes the USB input sounding better than the AES/EBU is a big surprise to me as well.

(13-May-2018, 19:50)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Not sure how it relates to performance (if at all) but their circuits and internals are very tidy and aesthetically pleasing. You know, in relative terms. Smile

Interesting about the USB.

Steve

Yes it is beautiful inside, looks like it was made with care.

I can not believe that the USB sounded better than the AES/EBU but not just to me
but to 3 other people as well.

(13-May-2018, 20:53)midi Wrote: Today I have seen the G1 at the Munich Highend Show. I had no chance to ask, what the differents between the G2 and the G1 are. Surely the one piece aluminium body. But the G1 seems to be the better offer.

Midi

Did you manger to find the price point of the G1, as I am sure it will be a winner.

Thanks all Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.