Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auralic Altair
A new option in the field of network streaming, with seemingly a very low jitter clock included in the box, and streaming capabilities for Qobuz and Tidal, and a DAC for the same price. Not to mention Roonready Wink.
With a very attractive price tag it seems.

http://www.auralic.com/en/

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/auralic/1.html

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/0...aming-dac/

Definitely worth listening at next month's show in Munich Wink
It would appear that this is likely to be somewhere between the Aries and the Vega with respect to sound quality. Has anyone ever tried a Vega with a Devialet?

Of course the big problem with any Auralic product above the Aries in the range, is that if you are using it with a Devialet, you are paying for DAC / Pre-amp hardware that you do not need.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(14-Apr-2016, 12:54)Confused Wrote: It would appear that this is likely to be somewhere between the Aries and the Vega with respect to sound quality.  Has anyone ever tried a Vega with a Devialet?

Of course the big problem with any Auralic product above the Aries in the range, is that if you are using it with a Devialet, you are paying for DAC / Pre-amp hardware that you do not need.

Yes and let's face it the Aries wasn't exactly brilliant on SQ, although I concede things may have changed with firmware updates etc.

The DAC thing always causes a bit of cognitive disarray, having said that if the end result is good... then why not?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(14-Apr-2016, 13:03)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(14-Apr-2016, 12:54)Confused Wrote: It would appear that this is likely to be somewhere between the Aries and the Vega with respect to sound quality.  Has anyone ever tried a Vega with a Devialet?

Yes and let's face it the Aries wasn't exactly brilliant on SQ, although I concede things may have changed with firmware updates etc.

The DAC thing always causes a bit of cognitive disarray, having said that if the end result is good... then why not?

Guillaume

It would appear that the Vega & Altair do not have a digital output?  So actually this is quite a big issue.  (unless I've misread the specs)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(14-Apr-2016, 13:11)Confused Wrote: It would appear that the Vega & Altair do not have a digital output?  So actually this is quite a big issue.  (unless I've misread the specs)

Unfortunately, you look to be right. Quite a big issue as you say.
(14-Apr-2016, 20:12)SwissBear Wrote:
(14-Apr-2016, 13:11)Confused Wrote: It would appear that the Vega & Altair do not have a digital output?  So actually this is quite a big issue.  (unless I've misread the specs)

Unfortunately, you look to be right. Quite a big issue as you say.

I sent a mail to the support about a digital output. In fact there is one. A USB port (DAC) which can be used as a digital output. So with that you can connect the Auralic Altair digitally to the Devialet. A little bit pointless for a streaming DAC.
On the other side it costs about the same as the Aries and is looks much better.