Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auralic Aries into D400
Hello All,
Taking delivery of a D400 pair in the coming few weeks, replacing a Berkeley Alpha DAC and Levinson Power Amp.  I am currently serving the DAC via XLR/AES from an Aries.  Would anyone care to share their experience with comparing USB and XLR/AES digital out from the Aries into a Devialet, preferring one over the other?  Have a USB mounted hard drive on the Aries hence balanced out.
Thanks, in advance.
Warren
It's been a while since I did this comparison, at least a few months, so memory fading.

Is this an Auralic Aries or the new Aries Mini?

Assuming it is the former, the XLR/AES digital was very, very good. I don't recall USB being any better.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
how does the aries mini compare with the aries and AIR? I am using AIR on my 6-yr old computer, which I am afraid it will die on me soon.... so considering the aries mini to do the streaming and replace AIR. is the mini up for the job?
I use the AES/EBU input on my D400 with my Aries right now and I feel that it is better than the USB but not by much. I have a diy xlr cable nothing fancy and on USB I have a Cabledyne silver cable and the xlr is better so I am thinking on geting a Cabledyne silver xlr digital cable and sell the USB cable.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Thanks for your replies....happy to hear the XLR/AES is the one to use. Is the bigger unit not the mini. With the hard drive on the Aries port I'd need to consider a NAS but that seems like way to much work.
@Wdw - you have a good setup there with the Devialet 400 and the Aries using XLR out. Enjoy it with the USB drive attached. NAS I would not feel any need to rush at all. You have a great system there.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(10-Dec-2015, 03:36)baddog Wrote: @Wdw - you have a good setup there with the Devialet 400 and the Aries using XLR out. Enjoy it with the USB drive attached. NAS I would not feel any need to rush at all. You have a great system there.

Switched from NAS to USB drive with my Aries.
Speed of building up cover art improved quite significantly!
Block PS100 Custom turntable/ Soundsmith Carmen - Kimber KS1011
Aurali Aries LE - Kimber USB  /  Oyaide FTVS 510
AVM Evolution CD3 - Oyaide FTVS 510
D200 - Kimber 12TC all clear - Ayon Gyrfalcon
HMS Energia RC1 mains filter- Fisch Audio power wires
Stuttgart, Germany