Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auralic Aries mini
Ok on holiday in Zante and far too much time to ponder and think ?

Think I am losing patience with Devialet about the AIR issue and waiting for Dialog.
The auralic Aries min is out soon in UK and only priced at£375 so may be worth a go. If I prefer Dialog when it comes out I could sell the mini on

Does anyone use the mini with the Devialet? If so how do you think it compares to AIR?
Would be really interested to know. I love the AIR sound and would not like it if I ended up with inferior sound quality

I also understand the Aurender app is pretty good too. It would also open up my radio listening again and possibly even Tidal if I go that way

Any help or comment as always appreciated
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Hi Womaz, hope you enjoy your holidays

I used AIR when I first got my Devialet, I then later used USB, I switched as I think USB together with Jplay is better than AIR.

Two weeks ago I received a Aurender N100h, it is in my ears better (and by a good margin) than my PC, mind that my PC is a standard without any fancy USB cards. It is fair to say that I am in audio heaven...

The user interface, is also something else, especially Tidal, in my ears Tidal also sounds good.

The Aurender can't play web radio, if I want to listen to any radio I use my iPad or iPhone and AirPlay it to the Aurender.

Kind Regards Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
(15-Sep-2015, 20:33)Morten Wrote: Hi Womaz, hope you enjoy your holidays

I used AIR when I first got my Devialet, I then later used USB, I switched as I think USB together with Jplay is better than AIR.

Two weeks ago I received a Aurender N100h, it is in my ears better (and by a good margin) than my PC, mind that my PC is a standard without any fancy USB cards. It is fair to say that I am in audio heaven...

The user interface, is also something else, especially Tidal, in my ears Tidal also sounds good.

The Aurender can't play web radio, if I want to listen to any radio I use my iPad or iPhone and AirPlay it to the Aurender.

Kind Regards Morten

I think the aurender would be the one I would go for if I was to spend a lot of cash on the streamer solution, however at this stage I am looking for a cheap maybe temporary solution until dialog arrives or AIR actually works.
Great to rha that you prefer the aurender sound to AIR , as this encourages me

Steve
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
If you read some of the older threads on this forum, the conclusion appears to be that the original Auralic Aries does not quite match the sound quality of AIR. The mini would need to be better than its older big sister if it were not meet your "not inferior to AIR" requirement for sound quality. I'm not aware that anyone has tried one with a Devialet (is it even available yet?), so you never know.
(15-Sep-2015, 21:15)Confused Wrote: If you read some of the older threads on this forum, the conclusion appears to be that the original Auralic Aries does not quite match the sound quality of AIR.  The mini would need to be better than its older big sister if it were not meet your "not inferior to AIR" requirement for sound quality.  I'm not aware that anyone has tried one with a Devialet (is it even available yet?), so you never know.

Yes I have actually been doing this tonight , oh the decisions. The Cambridge Cxn is another one I am considering. I think I have finally lost patience with AIR and Dialog, .........however I am on holiday with way too much time on my hands Big Grin
(15-Sep-2015, 21:30)Womaz Wrote:
(15-Sep-2015, 21:15)Confused Wrote: If you read some of the older threads on this forum, the conclusion appears to be that the original Auralic Aries does not quite match the sound quality of AIR.  The mini would need to be better than its older big sister if it were not meet your "not inferior to AIR" requirement for sound quality.  I'm not aware that anyone has tried one with a Devialet (is it even available yet?), so you never know.

Yes I have actually been doing this tonight , oh the decisions. The Cambridge Cxn is another one I am considering. I think I have finally lost patience with AIR and Dialog, .........however I am on holiday with way too much time on my hands  Big Grin

I have been where you may be going. Spending more money by trying to save money. Wink  I tried three different "renderers" and wasn't satisfied with the sound. None were extravagantly expensive but the sum total wasn't insignificant. Considering the time to install and troubleshoot (when necessary) and reselling or returning at a loss, it would have been better to have bought the Aurender instead. Big Grin
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(16-Sep-2015, 23:00)Antoine Wrote: Personally I'm not expecting the Dialog to be better than most other purpose built audiophile music servers/streamers, rather the opposite. Can't know for sure of course till I tried it but I would be VERY surprised if it did. It's way too cheap to be built with great parts and I'm quite sure Devialet does not yet recognize there's more to the "bits are bits" dogma.

As good as AIR would do for me .........oh and for it to work Big Grin
(17-Sep-2015, 00:01)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(16-Sep-2015, 23:00)Antoine Wrote: Personally I'm not expecting the Dialog to be better than most other purpose built audiophile music servers/streamers, rather the opposite. Can't know for sure of course till I tried it but I would be VERY surprised if it did. It's way too cheap to be built with great parts and I'm quite sure Devialet does not yet recognize there's more to the "bits are bits" dogma.

+1 couldn't agree more

Guillaume

As good as AIR would do for me as to quote you from another thread , AIR is the great big elephant in the room
Once again this is where I get to , I lose patience with Devilalet over the AIR issue and even Dialog. I make the decision to go and get a streamer and then when I start to investigate the options none of them really push all the right buttons , and I therefore tend to sit on the fence again.
I think I do this as I love the sound of AIR and I would be gutted if I shelled out extra cash for a streamer and I found myself with inferior sound quality.

The Aurender N100 is the one I would ultimately chose if I wanted to do the job property, but I go back to my original hopes when purchasing the 200. For a sort of one box one brand solution feeding my PMCs which I would have possibly upgraded to the 26s in time.
This is why Dialog appeals , but I do understand the concerns stated above. I guess over the last few years I have sort of subscribed to the view that getting the music to the system should be as good with a cheap option as its the 200 and the speakers that ultimately do the work and produce the sound quality.........although I am by no means any expert on this. Also with the likes of the Melco and Aurender products I am now starting to question this. I do feel that for my needs though this is the way I will go. AIR serves that purpose well and I am not sure my system will benefit form lots of cash being thrown at a streamer.
AIR is great but I think will always have problems as PCs always have software issues and classes from my experience . So eventually I will probably take this out of the playback chain, although as Alex points out I also love the JRiver app and remote, it's brilliant for my needs.

Thanks again for all the very helpful replies.

Back to square one Big Grin
Sorry my posts are not going on in here in the correct order