Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer audio for a dummy D200 owner
Hi,
I am the happy owner of a D200, and at the moment, I have a iTunes lossless library stored on a desktop computer (MAC) which is located in a different room
I'd like to play this library via my D200...
May I ask the experts here what would be the simplest way to do it?
Many thanks 
JC
(26-Aug-2016, 22:53)tof Wrote: Hi,
I am the happy owner of a D200, and at the moment, I have a iTunes lossless library stored on a desktop computer (MAC) which is located in a different room
I'd like to play this library via my D200...
May I ask the experts here what would be the simplest way to do it?
Many thanks 
JC

Hello

Assuming you have a WiFi network in your home, then download Devialet AIR 3 Release Candidate from the Devialet site, install it on your Mac and you are pretty much good to go. You might get better stability if you could connect everything via ethernet cable rather than WiFi, but that rather depends on the layout of your home. With AIR set as the output of your Mac, then anything you play on there (not just iTunes) can go to your D200. You will need to set up the D200 AIR input via the Configurator. There is a lot of information on the forum about settings, issues and so on, but the current AIR iterations seem pretty stable, and with excellent SQ.

Welcome to the club  Big Grin
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
Many thanks !
Should I conclude that Air software installed on the computer allows to spare a digital streamer box (such as Linn DS or totaldac D1 server for example), or are there further advantages adding those (expensive) devices?
(27-Aug-2016, 04:05)tof Wrote: Many thanks !
Should I conclude that Air software installed on the computer allows to spare a digital streamer box (such as Linn DS or totaldac D1 server for example), or are there further advantages adding those (expensive) devices?

Ahhh - now it begins  Big Grin

In theory, AIR will bring whatever sound your computer is making into your D200, either wirelessly or via the network cable, depending on your set-up. However, there are many many reasons and opinions as to why the sound coming straight from your computer will not sound as good as that which is processed via a streamer. Some people will say that iTunes itself will not give the best SQ, while others believe that a Linux box sounds better than a Mac, using the appropriate software. 

AIR is free! My advice is start with what you have, and see how it goes before Audiophilia Nervosa takes a hold. You could spend every penny you have in the quest for "better" sound, but I use Roon software running on a little NUC costing a couple of hundred pounds, and today, I am enjoying SQ beyond my wildest dreams. I don't believe that adding a streamer would be the best bang for the buck right now, but others may disagree Cool
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
I'd agree with Zappydev - if AIR works (it still doesn't on Highres at least for me) why not start there. By all accounts it may be bettered but by how much and at what cost? Plus it's still at beta stage so hopefully it will improve.

I believe the iTunes auto sample rate switching was removed from the latest Mac version for some reason? May or may not be an issue for you.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I agree with the comments about AIR . If it works for you I believe it will surprise you how good it sounds.
I would have stuck with AIR if it had worked for me. You could be one of the lucky ones :-)
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Audirvana is a much better OSX music player than iTunes.
It has an iPad app as well so you can control your library remotely.
Try it out?
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus

(27-Aug-2016, 10:39)DelaneyB Wrote: Audirvana is a much better OSX music player than iTunes.
It has an iPad app as well so you can control your library remotely.
Try it out?

You could also look at Roon. Ultimately, it's not free, but you can trial it for no charge.

For me, it was a game-changer - not necessarily because of SQ, but because of everything else it brings to the party.