Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australian phantom users?
Got my pair of silver phantoms today Smile
Didn't expect the plugs to be 15Amp ones instead of the usual 10Amps!

http://www.iec.ch/worldplugs/typeI.htm
Yep, that caught me by surprise too! I bought my first phantom from France so I just slapped in the old Eu adapter plug and away I went. But with my seconds one, the Australian version...nope! Crazy 15A plug! I'm not inclined to get a sparky to rewire the house so I just swapped out the iec cable for another spare I had. Now working perfectly. I wonder if it is an error or if it is because of some regs regarding 3000w

Interested to know what solution you have come up with @magicera
(24-Sep-2015, 13:23)sleach Wrote: Yep, that caught me by surprise too! I bought my first phantom from France so I just slapped in the old Eu adapter plug and away I went. But with my seconds one, the Australian version...nope! Crazy 15A plug! I'm not inclined to get a sparky to rewire the house so I just swapped out the iec cable for another spare I had. Now working perfectly. I wonder if it is an error or if it is because of some regs regarding 3000w

Interested to know what solution you have come up with @magicera

I've got my study room with 15A sockets for some reason but, planning on using it in my living room therefore will need electricians to come in install some new sockets.

I don't quite understand that the 10Amp IEC cable works on your phantom, what is the reason for a 15Amp plug then...? Sounds like a mistake then as you say.

Could you divulge on how to exchange the IEC cables? It looks pretty sturdy at the back. I presume one of these would work?
http://www.bunnings.com.au/jackson-1-2m-...d_p4420134
[Image: 2a2fbff746ee64f534c94ee2d3ee2d10.jpg]

The plug is sort attached to a molded section that follows the form of the chassis. But it all just pulls straight out like shown. Then inside you find a perfectly normal iec plug. It is not quite as neat as the original lead, but where I have them it is at the back and totally invisible.

Edit: I've just noticed in the photo that it clearly says 10a 250v on the phantom's own lead so surely the 15a plug is mis-specified?
(24-Sep-2015, 13:46)sleach Wrote: [Image: 2a2fbff746ee64f534c94ee2d3ee2d10.jpg]

The plug is sort attached to a molded section that follows the form of the chassis. But it all just pulls straight out like shown. Then inside you find a perfectly normal iec plug. It is not quite as neat as the original lead, but where I have them it is at the back and totally invisible.

Edit: I've just noticed in the photo that it clearly says 10a 250v on the phantom's own lead  so surely the 15a plug is mis-specified?
Ah thanks for that quick reply. May I ask whether you are doing this on a phantom or a silver phantom? Cheers. 

My plugs say the same thing btw exact same product code with 10A. Mine are 2 silvers
[/quote]
Ah thanks for that quick reply. May I ask whether you are doing this on a phantom or a silver phantom? Cheers. 

My plugs say the same thing btw exact same product code with 10A. Mine are 2 silvers
[/quote]

Both silver here too
Ohms law I = V/R - 3000 / 240 = 12.5 amps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But then have a look at the base of the yellow plug bit on the other end - it says well shin 15Amp

So it's from the same manufacturer - the plastic casing bit and the yellow plug bit but with 10A at one end and 15A at the other. I just don't get what the purpose of the 15A plug bit...

I'm not an electrician and this is quite confusing to me Smile
(24-Sep-2015, 14:09)DSD Wrote: Ohms law I = V/R - 3000 / 240 = 12.5 amps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does that mean if I use a 10Amp cable I will only be getting 10A * 240 = 2400 Wattage (theoretically), despite the Silver phantoms able to produce sound as sleach says? 

Or does it not work this way?
Thank you for your help in advance, DSD Angel  

My presumption is as long as the phantoms have enough power to turn on, the sound quality/loudness from a 10Amp vs 15Amp plug should be non-existant?

Thanks
(24-Sep-2015, 14:15)magicera Wrote: Does that mean if I use a 10Amp cable I will only be getting 10A * 240 = 2400 Wattage (theoretically), despite the Silver phantoms able to produce sound as sleach says?
First, the current capacity of a cable is a thermal limit, which means that if you exceed it for too long the cable (conductor) will start heating and it might end up melting. Any cable can handle any current, the only difference is for how long until it melts. Wink So, no, don't worry because the cable will not limit your Phantom output.

Second, the 3000w are peak power, not continuous, so, I guess the right formula would be 3000W / ( sqrt(2) * 240V ) = 8.83A, which is less than the specified 10.

Having said this, you should not worry, because you would rarely use all the 3000w peak power, and, in the unlikely few times you might use it, it would be for such a short period that the cable wouldn't even get warmer... Wink