Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B&W 804d3 Speakers
(12-Mar-2020, 10:18)CongoFather Wrote: Do you use standard jumper cables(that comes with the speaker) to connect the speaker cable connections(connected to top ports for better mid /trebble response) to the low frequency(bass) port? I am currently testing a high-end speaker cable with 804D3. I am not sure whether I should also change the jumper cables, or not. They seem to be the weakest part of the connection.

I'm using Wireworld cables + Wireworld "spade plug" as they're called in Japan. Not the B&W original cables.
Devialet Expert D200 > D400 > D440 Pro, Melco N1A, B&W 804 D3, Wireworld Starlight USB & Eclipse 7 speakers. Japan.
(Oppo HA-1, Macbook Pro, Sennheiser HD800S)
I did use the jumper cables.
Hi all,

This is an interesting chat which I am also looking at.
I cannot decide between 803D3 and 804D3.
Size of 803D3 is a bit of concern due to limited space in my living area.

Question for those testing these out, I have small living listening are of about 11ft x 12ft.

I am running 440Pros. Could 803D3 too overwhelming of this aspect?

Great to hear some feedbacks.
Rgds
(15-Oct-2020, 05:55)madumm Wrote: Hi all,

This is an interesting chat which I am also looking at.
I cannot decide between 803D3 and 804D3.
Size of 803D3 is a bit of concern due to limited space in my living area.

Question for those testing these out, I have small living listening are of about 11ft x 12ft.

I am running 440Pros. Could 803D3 too overwhelming of this aspect?

Great to hear some feedbacks.
Rgds
I asked myself the same question 4 years ago and decided to go with the 804D3. Never looked back at my choice. In a house maybe 803 make sense, but in frankly the “smaller” 804 is powerful enough for most situations.
Devialet Expert D200 > D400 > D440 Pro, Melco N1A, B&W 804 D3, Wireworld Starlight USB & Eclipse 7 speakers. Japan.
I did hear in a shop here, between both 803d3 and 804d3, the difference is quite noticeable, However, i too noticed the different amps they use.
Only thing is that my listening area is not so big, so putting 803d3 could be too much to handle?

BTW, thanks for the quick reply
The 220 was more than enough to power the 804, and I suspect the 803. I don’t have any doubt that the 440 can drive much bigger, probably up to the 801. Of course shops push for an arms race...
I am running 803 D3s with my 1000 in a room that is about 6 metres by 4 metres. My concern, and especially my wife’s was that they might overwhelm the room with their size. They are without doubt noticeable but no one has complained so far. My normal (loudish) listening setting using Tidal is between -24 and -28. This will fill the same size room next door. As you go much higher (-8) you lose nothing through any form of distortion, the sound just envelops and eventually fatigues you.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
Yes, I belief for 440pro, power delivery is not an issue.
and of course, shops love to sell you anything, but will push for you to go higher.
I recommend listening to the speakers in a room like yours, but if that's not possible here's my experience.

I listened to both the 802d3, 803d3, and 804d3 in the same room with the same equipment. Then I listened to the 803d3 in another situation. In both cases I liked the 804 but thought the 803 was a bit harsh and less balanced than either the 804 or 802d3 (which I love most but has grown too tall over the generations). I know that others love the 803, but I haven't heard it sound better than the 804. I wanted to like the 803 because it is the shape I want, but I never enjoyed the sound as much as the other models.

As for power, I've had Devialet 200, 400, 440, 250, and 1000 powering 802n and 804d3. Both my B&W speakers like power, but really don't need more than 200W. The dual mono sound better, and there's some improvement when giving the B&W more power, but I'd say the other benefits of dual mono and the upgrade from 440 to 1000 outweigh the increase in power. For example, upgrading my speaker cables or interlink cable made more of an improvement than the increase in power.

In my experience of B&W speakers in many rooms, the large speakers don't sound bad in small rooms. However, even the 805 greatly benefits from being over a meter away from walls. If you can't keep them away from walls the 804 or 805 (front ported) sound better than the 802 or 800 (bottom ported) when close to walls. The baffles of my 804d3 sound best about where my 802n were, it is just that the 802 were far deeper. The 804 look much better in a small room even though the 802 sound better there.

This is all just one person's opinion, but I hope it helps.
Hi deviousalet, that is great feedback. Really appreciate.

The speakers are theoretically not against the wall, I have a false wall filled with rockwool to absorb reflections to the back. But the fact is the listening area distance is about 3m each side, I think its like close.

Also, my wife prefers 803 looks.. .haha

I will consider your feedback as I am torn between both still.