Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BEST Lan wired phantom configuration for stereo TV in 1 room and stereo in 2nd room?
NEW THREAD FOR LAN WIRED NETWORKS, not wireless.

I have read its best to go an ethernet wired  network to avoid problems with Phantom.   I am looking to set up a wired configuration for 2 phantoms for TV sound in the den and 2 phantoms for stereo in the front room.   So I need one DIALOG, 4 phantoms and an 8 port switch.   

Some say to put all this on a VIRTUAL PRIVATE NETWORK, using an APPLE AIRPORT EXPRESS operating in "bridge mode" with my main router/modem,  to avoid stability issues and other problems......others say I dont need a VPN.       

The diagram attached shows the VPN approach.   But before going to buy an APPLE AIRPORT EXPRESS, I could try the network first without it, so no VPN, and see what stability issues occur.     But it seems to me each of us is trying to reinvent the wheel.

If you have a great LAN WIRED network for Phantoms that is stable, and avoids glitches, for TV audio in one room, and a second zone for stereo in a second room, could you please post your diagram of it?

Below is my diagram for a wired LAN network.    I have a few other computers that do not need to be on the VPN, those are shown at the top.

The idea of the layout is to have the den computer and SPARK manage playing audio to both zones (frontroom and den), and to control audio in the front room with SPARK on an ipad.   The layout is also to accommodate stereo phantoms for tv audio.   I have heard contol is possible for this as 2 separate zones, I hope so......for example watch apple TV in the den and have separate stereo audio in the frontroom.    Anyone know if this is possible and if so, are there any configuration issues?

Seems to me I can drop the LAN connection to the TV since I will go with Apple TV.   Also the blue ray player does not need a LAN connection.    So taking those out, I have enough ports on the 8 port LAN SWITCH to do all on this diagram and drop the APPLE AIRPORT EXTREME at least for the first try.

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm very interested in your topic as I plan something relatively similar, I'm still waiting for an home-cinema multichannel support announcement to buy.

I found this devialet best practices https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...ecommended (or in french https://help.devialet.com/hc/fr/articles...recommandé). Does your set-up is inspired by this?
Cheers
Hi Karabe,

Are all switches "managed switches"?   Which make/model of a managed switch do you recommend?
Thanks.
(04-Nov-2015, 10:47)Yoggy Wrote: Hi,

I'm very interested in your topic as I plan something relatively similar, I'm still waiting for an home-cinema multichannel support announcement to buy.  

I find this devialet best practices link
https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...ecommended

(or in french https://help.devialet.com/hc/fr/articles...recommandé). Does your set-up is inspired by this?
Cheers

Hi Yoggy,
no, setup was inspired by comments saying to use VPN with Airport Extreme.   now from other comments it seems i can avoid this, and i also wonder if those going to APPLE AIRPORT EXTREEM were doing so to improve WIRELESS networking stability since I have learned that phantoms configure themselves so if there is a wired lan available they take that first, then if not, they go to house current (where power bar issues can come up), then to wireless and user control to configure phantoms is not on.......not sure if I got all that right, needs confirming.

that link
https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...ecommended
although it says english us only takes me to a document in french.   no it was not the inspiration.
i sure would like to see this in english.
I got from Devialet the english version for various lphantom/dialog/router configurations, attached here (if its not attached, it was too big to come through, request copy from devialet support).

I discussed P26 with Devialet support.   For my diagram above they say P26 is basically it, taking out the AIRPORT EXTREME which they said was OK, and put in the 8 port switch instead.   No VPN.   As I have the second pair of phantoms in the frontroom connected to DIALOG using LAN connectiions, that is not shown on P26, but they said that would be ok.    They suggested not going to a managed switch.   

Has anyone tried this setup?   Is it tried and true?   What changes?
Thanks!      Smile

I dont think the attachement came through so instead here is copy of p26

[a]If I was to have a managed switch in this configuration, the idea is I would use it to set priority  for some ports over others, right?  What ports would get priority over others?  What is the order?

P 26 did not come across, so I will try again to add the attachment in this message.

thanks karebe. not rocket science, but all new to me. Dont know the subject or things like what QoS is.....
NETWORK INSTABILITY DISCUSSION

Network stability is much talked about how to map failure points back to causes?  I am completely new at this technology.   I am wondering if the network and conditions I am setting up as shown here are going to work ok.  

See comments below where I have tried to relate to causes of instability that I read about.  And some questions in the comments.

Clean power/surge protection and NETWORK STABILITY
            - I have set up so no clean power on dialog or phantoms (can cause interference)
            - dialog and phantoms on same electrical branch circuit, only in den.   The frontroom phantom stereo pair is on a different branch circuit, cant help that, will have to see if this is an issue re dialogs automatic and user uncontrollable connectivity priorities, which I understand to be first Ethernet, second wifi, third use of house current.   Since here all phantoms are Ethernet hardwired to dialog, IF that priority is maintained maybe this network scheme will be stable.

iPad control and NETWORK STABILITY
            - I only have a moderate signal strength on the iPAD in the frontroom. cause issues?  Which kind?
            - fix not by going to APPLE AIRPORT EXTREME as shown on P26 of Devialet’s recommended setups paper, but put in a wireless range extender?

8 port switch  UNMANAGED effect on NETWORK STABILITY
            - Devialet recommended setups, P26, shows Airport Extreme in this network positon.
            -  NETWORK INSTABILITY issues might arise from this not being a managed switch?  
            - if managed, which ports should get what priorities?  I read that routers sometimes prioritize for TV to get the internet over other devices, but in this network my TV is not directly Ethernet connected.   Connections are back to blue ray player and apple Tv by HDMI and back to DIALOG via optical. So priority order to what?....like this: dialog, phantoms then the den computer, then the other computers?  I see Karebe just provided some perspective on this, thanks.

No VPN (virtual private network to separate networks) no VLAN (to connect to 2 LAN’s)
            - this is all one network
            - might NETWORK STABILITY issues arise from the coputers use on Ethernet connections 1, 2, 3?  They do not need to be part of the music/tv system, should they come off this one network so I go to 2 networks.   Or as Karebe just said, put in a manged switch?

Thanks!