Poll: Battles - which one wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Upgrade to D220 from D200
35.14%
13 35.14%
Get a used D200
24.32%
9 24.32%
Get a used D200 companion
13.51%
5 13.51%
...others such as wait and see
27.03%
10 27.03%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battles: D220 upgrade vs. 2nd D200 vs. D200 companion
Guys, I would like to hear your thoughts on these options.  I've tried to dig into older threads, but I might not be good at searching that I didn't find an exact thread discussing these options.  

I'm struggling with 1) upgrade my D200 to D220; 2) getting a used D200 to make my setup into D400 or 3) getting a used D200 companion unit to make my setup into D400.  Especially, when considering the cost of D220 upgrade, I lean towards the latter two options.  What do you think?

Does using a D200 as a companion vs. using a specially made companion make any difference regarding SQ?  

What do you think about future supports from Devialet, especially if you decide to go with the 2) or 3) route?

Would there be any difference regarding the upgrade cost to the Pro version if I get a normal D200 or companion D200?

...or would you rather opt for any other options you have in mind?  Just wait for 2017 and collect either the D200 or D200 companion at an even cheaper price then?   Rolleyes

Thanks very much all.  Really appreciate your opinion.  As with others, I've found the pricing scheme for the upgrade of the D200 a bit strange (i.e. similar to D120 > D220).  Technically, I think the 2) or 3) option would give me better SQ upgrade.
System: Lenovo Laptop (Ethernet to router) >> Tidal/Hi-Res Files (M2 SSD) >> Roon >> HQPlayer (DSD64) >> Air (latest version) >> D800 (Ethernet to router) >> PMC Twenty5.26

Cable: Ethernet (Nordost Heimdall 2 / only for D800), Digital (Stock Crystal cable), Speaker (XLO Pro Series)

Router: Netgear Orbi (main Orbi connected to the laptop / satellite Orbi connected to the D800).  Each Orbi communicates wirelessly. 
I reckon 2 is your most flexible option and based on my experience going recently from a single to a dual mono (D premiers) would probably have the most audibly satisfying difference .. you could always upgrade the 200's if you really want to and have the cash.
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
Here In Denmark the Pro models is NOT come too the main dealer ,so i must wait some weeks before i Can find out if i Will upgrade my 200 too Pro , but i miss if someone dealers make test about different models . Becorse Right nov i Don,t give Any ordre before i hear the difference , and the difference must be Big , becorse it is more than 25000 Danish Krones too upgrade , and i Don,t Stream i have cd player, and turntable, soo it is the Sound i look after , i Don,t Care about streaming . Hello from Denmark .
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
There is another way of looking at this. Devialet have advised that the upgrade scheme is time limited to 31 December 2016. Based on past experience of the D-Premier to Expert upgrade, there is good reason to suspect that the upgrade scheme will continue beyond 31 December 2016, but for exactly how long nobody knows.

So, if you go for a companion and the upgrade scheme ends, then you have a very fine D400, but to go to 440Pro would required selling or part exchanging your D400. If you upgrade to 220 Pro now, you then have a couple of years or so to pick up a 220 Pro companion (or second 220) to go to 440 Pro specification.

You ask which would give the better SQ upgrade. This is indeed the question! What sounds best, 220 Pro or D400. Many have offered the opinion that a D400 would sound best. I am not so sure. My reason for saying this is that for me the jump from D250 to D800 is smaller than the jump from D800 to 1000 Pro. Based on this, I think there is a good chance that with some speakers that the 220 Pro could outperform a D400. Of course this is largely opinion and speculation, albeit based on some information. However, you will never resolve this for sure with a poll or the views of folk who have never put a 220 Pro head to head with a D400. 220 Pro versus D400 - Someone needs to do this!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
The only people who can accurately respond to this poll are those that have had time and opportunity to hear a 220 Pro compared to a 200 and 400.  My guess is very few people have yet. Hopefully that will change well before the upgrade window expires.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
I think I would probably chooose OPT 1 or OPT 2. For OPT2, I can even get 2 remotes haha.
I personally would not trust dealers much on this topic - most of them have an incentive to sell off their old Expert range stock as fast as they can before the new versions arrive. In the end it´s basically a gamble. if the upgrade program continues then for many it´s a good deal, but if Devialet actually really shuts down the upgrade system you are left with a device that is no longer part of the developing ecosystem.
(30-Sep-2016, 02:43)apichetk Wrote: Guys, I would like to hear your thoughts on these options.  I've tried to dig into older threads, but I might not be good at searching that I didn't find an exact thread discussing these options.  

I'm struggling with 1) upgrade my D200 to D220; 2) getting a used D200 to make my setup into D400 or 3) getting a used D200 companion unit to make my setup into D400.  Especially, when considering the cost of D220 upgrade, I lean towards the latter two options.  What do you think?

Does using a D200 as a companion vs. using a specially made companion make any difference regarding SQ?  

What do you think about future supports from Devialet, especially if you decide to go with the 2) or 3) route?

Would there be any difference regarding the upgrade cost to the Pro version if I get a normal D200 or companion D200?

...or would you rather opt for any other options you have in mind?  Just wait for 2017 and collect either the D200 or D200 companion at an even cheaper price then?   Rolleyes

Thanks very much all.  Really appreciate your opinion.  As with others, I've found the pricing scheme for the upgrade of the D200 a bit strange (i.e. similar to D120 > D220).  Technically, I think the 2) or 3) option would give me better SQ upgrade.

I had a single D200 with my Wilson Sasha's and auditioned a D250 (to replace my D200) and another D200 (to make a D400).
Hands down in my living room there was no comparison the D400 was streets ahead of the D250 in transparency, grip,dynamics and leading edge. The 250 in the context of my system had a much more laid back presentation I even preferred my single 200 which had a much more upfront sound which I like (everyone to their own). So I plumped for the additional D200 which then completely outperformed the D250 it was like chalk and cheese. It just gives you more of the same. On simple acoustic / female vocals the difference is not night and day but switch to some juicy rock / busy tracks and boy the second D200 comes through loud and clear! (more separation, better defined bass notes and control, more presence and weight)

But then surely it should shouldn't it ........? 

Two power supplies, 400 watts per channel against 250, a mono blocks for each speaker ? Which is why I will find it very hard to believe a 220 pro will outperform a D400 for the reasons stated above. Of course the reviews and hyperbole will allude to exactly that but until i hear it my D400 will remain.
I think the sweetspot still in the whole range is the D400 I can understand the comments on here when people have upgraded from D400 to D800 they are not overwhelmed with the difference in sound.
I stress the above comments are in the context of my own system in my listening room. 
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
Onkyo Cd transport via aes/ebu
Direct Drive Turntable Micro Benz Gold MC Cartridge
2 x Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord
Transparent Super MM2 Speaker Cable
I went from D200 to D400 by adding another D200
Phenomenal improvement
But apart from having a remote, can use them independently should I need to
Can sell them as separate units should I want
There is no sound difference between adding a companion or another D200
Alot more flexibility than adding a companion
I think the upgrade costs are also the same - whether there are two D200s or a master and companion
Both are D400s
(01-Oct-2016, 10:35)egg1dog Wrote: I think the sweetspot still in the whole range is the D400 I can understand the comments on here when people have upgraded from D400 to D800 they are not overwhelmed with the difference in sound.

Interesting, I have heard precisely the opposite from people going from 400 to 800. One person I sold my 800 to was absolutely amazed at the improvement. 

So my guess is that this is massively speaker/system dependent. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK