Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Been listening all night. Don't want to stop.
Didn't plan on listening to music all night. Luckily I'm not working today! I recently implemented digital room correction to my Devialet Phantom Reactor 900 2-channel system via the miniDSP SHD-Stereo. It's a small, unassuming black box, but it is powerful. Dirac Live 2.0 completely opens up the soundstage, and handles all the bass the Reactors have on tap with control and authority. Worth the time and effort of setting it up. Want to continue listening and rediscovering my music library, as well as Tidal HIFI streaming. Time for a latte. Enjoy the music!

[Image: tVmh6cC.jpg]
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i
How have you got this connected to the phantoms? There is no optical out on the miniDSP SHD Studio is there?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
Also, if I use my auralic aries mini as a source with this....can I bypass using volumio, and just use the auralic lightning DS app or Roon instead?

Hi,

This mini DSP have a DAC and no optical or AES, so don't think it's good to use a DAC and then use the ADC of Reactor.

DAC -> ADC input -> REACTOR DAC : not good

Optical/AES -> REACTOR DAC : much better
IMAC -> MOTU 8A -> TOSLINK -> PHANTOM I RIGHT AUX OPTICAL INPUT-> ETHERNET CABLE between LEFT and RIGHT (60ms):  2X Phantom I 103 dB (2021) in STEREO MODE DOS 2.12.3 - app 1.14
(10-Mar-2020, 13:46)Scooboo81 Wrote: How have you got this connected to the phantoms? There is no optical out on the miniDSP SHD Studio is there?

That's correct... the SHD-Studio doesn't have an optical output. But with a will there is often a way! I introduced a RCA Coaxial / Toslink adaptor into the signal path. Problem solved without any loss of any kind.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

(10-Mar-2020, 13:50)Scooboo81 Wrote: Also, if I use my auralic aries mini as a source with this....can I bypass using volumio, and just use the auralic lightning DS app or Roon instead?

I don't use Roon nor do I have experience with the Aries Mini, so can't help you there. However, I do believe the SHD may now be Roon compatible, but research for yourself to make sure. I personally have no interest in Roon. Regarding Volumio, the SHD has a special version built in that performs just fine, but I prefer to use my MacPro music server / Audirvana to feed the SHD.

(10-Mar-2020, 15:44)ofrappier Wrote: Hi,

This mini DSP have a DAC and no optical or AES, so don't think it's good to use a DAC and then use the ADC of Reactor.

DAC -> ADC input -> REACTOR DAC : not good

Optical/AES -> REACTOR DAC : much better
It sounds like you are referring to a different model of the SHD.

SHD studio would be excellent with the Reactor Custom as it has AES/EBU capabilities. If one can get the Custom as a private person that is...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(10-Mar-2020, 17:22)ogs Wrote: SHD studio would be excellent with the Reactor Custom as it has AES/EBU capabilities. If one can get the Custom as a private person that is...
Looks like the Reactor Custom might. These came to market just after I acquired the consumer Duo Reactor 900, I believe. However, they also have a smaller output rating (800w vs 900w). I don't see why an individual couldn't purchase them. One could touch base with Devialet Support to inquire.

(10-Mar-2020, 17:08)supaDean Wrote:
(10-Mar-2020, 13:46)Scooboo81 Wrote: How have you got this connected to the phantoms? There is no optical out on the miniDSP SHD Studio is there?

That's correct... the SHD-Studio doesn't have an optical output. But with a will there is often a way! I introduced a RCA Coaxial / Toslink adaptor into the signal path. Problem solved without any loss of any kind.
Interesting, what make and model of adapter did you use?