Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner's questions: How to get the most from the Reactor 600
Hello !

I recently had my first Devialet (Reactor 600). Until now, I listened to Spotify on speakers of other brands, not Hi-Res compatible, with Spotify Connect.

I would now like to enjoy better sound quality (at least 16bits & 44.1khz, and if possible 24bits & 48khz)
Today I have a Spotify subscription, a Raspberry Pi (currently without DAC), an iPhone, a Macbook Pro, and a small library of FLAC files. I am thinking about subscribing to a Tidal subscription soon.

I know Spotify Connect is limited to 320kbps, so I would change for an other solution. Can you advise me, guide me, on a not too expensive solution, allowing to enjoy good quality music? Upnp ? Airplay ? Bluetooth ? Optical ? I'm a little lost with these possibilities  Big Grin
my advice is buy a second reactor. difference is huge
Hi and congrats on your Devialet Reactors!

The immidiate thing which i would consider is to spend some time adjusting the placement of your reactor set.
It may sound silly, but placement can have a huge impact on sound stage and the enjoyment of the reactors. This was a big factor in my listening room. If you go and take Tidal, note that using Airplay your audio will be downsampled. I would recommend to use UPNP or Toslink to other equipment. For regular audio i just stream directly via Spotify as this is easy.

You can always have a look in connecting streamers like the Node2i but for me that is not essential. If you want to go all out, then have a look at streamers with Room Correction such as Dirac. And recently i discovered the use of audio-re clockers, but i yet have to gain experience with this myself.

Cheers, Tony
Don't do anything until you've done what @edgecrush3r says as his first bit of advice. Nothing beats setup. Unless you actually only own one. Then go with @Johnnydev's advice.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Thank you for your replies. I bought an apartment and I'm moving in about a month. I already know where the Devialet will be placed (on a gecko). I think I would buy a second Reactor 600 after saving up Wink !
(19-Feb-2021, 13:40)NicolasLrd Wrote: Thank you for your replies. I bought an apartment and I'm moving in about a month. I already know where the Devialet will be placed (on a gecko). I think I would buy a second Reactor 600 after saving up Wink !

Geckos will leave you no option to set your speakers up. If you want the best sound, they'll have to be a bit away from the wall. 

I have a difficult room with lots of echo. I've managed to get pretty decent sound by putting my speakers 2.7m into the room. That's a rotten place because it means stepping over speaker cables. But it sounds so much better so I had to do it. My solution is that now I have a couple of little felt pen dots on my floor where my speakers sound best. It's easy to put them there and it's easy to put them back closer to the wall. It's given me the freedom to listen to the speakers in the best spot and have them out of the way when they need to.

I don't know what the Geckos cost but if I were you, I'd put that money towards the second Reactor. Put them on something (anything that can work as a stand) and play with set up. If you want to learn about getting the best out of your speakers; buy "Get Better Sound' by Jim Smith. The stuff you can learn from his book will beat any tweak, add on or whatever improvement you think you can get. That's not an exageration, it really does.

Good luck and let us know how you go.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(20-Feb-2021, 08:55)Pim Wrote:
(19-Feb-2021, 13:40)NicolasLrd Wrote: Bedankt voor je antwoorden. Ik heb een appartement gekocht en ik ga over ongeveer een maand verhuizen. Ik weet al waar de Devialet geplaatst zal worden (op een gekko). Ik denk dat ik na het sparen een tweede Reactor 600 zou kopen Wink!

Gekko's laten je geen optie om je luidsprekers in te stellen. Als je het beste geluid wilt, moeten ze een beetje van de muur verwijderd zijn. 

Ik heb een moeilijke kamer met veel echo. Ik ben erin geslaagd om behoorlijk behoorlijk geluid te krijgen door mijn luidsprekers 2,7 m in de kamer te plaatsen. Dat is een rotte plek, want het betekent dat je over luidsprekerkabels moet stappen. Maar het klinkt zoveel beter, dus ik moest het doen. Mijn oplossing is dat ik nu een paar kleine viltstiftstippen op mijn vloer heb waar mijn luidsprekers het beste klinken. Het is gemakkelijk om ze daar neer te zetten en het is gemakkelijk om ze weer dichter bij de muur te plaatsen. Het heeft me de vrijheid gegeven om op de beste plek naar de luidsprekers te luisteren en ze uit de weg te hebben wanneer dat nodig is.

Ik weet niet wat de gekko's kosten, maar als ik jou was, zou ik dat geld in de tweede reactor steken. Zet ze op iets (alles dat als standaard kan werken) en speel met de opstelling. Als u wilt leren hoe u het beste uit uw luidsprekers kunt halen; koop 'Get Better Sound' van Jim Smith. De dingen die je uit zijn boek kunt leren, overtreffen elke  aanpassing, toevoeging of welke verbetering je ook denkt te kunnen krijgen. Dat is geen overdrijving, het is echt zo.

Veel succes en laat ons weten hoe je gaat.
+1
Buying a second Reactor should be first on your priority list. You wont have any soundstage unless you have them stereo, its a world of difference. Safe for the geckos later.
(19-Feb-2021, 11:18)NicolasLrd Wrote: Hello !

I recently had my first Devialet (Reactor 600). Until now, I listened to Spotify on speakers of other brands, not Hi-Res compatible, with Spotify Connect.

I would now like to enjoy better sound quality (at least 16bits & 44.1khz, and if possible 24bits & 48khz)
Today I have a Spotify subscription, a Raspberry Pi (currently without DAC), an iPhone, a Macbook Pro, and a small library of FLAC files. I am thinking about subscribing to a Tidal subscription soon.

I know Spotify Connect is limited to 320kbps, so I would change for an other solution. Can you advise me, guide me, on a not too expensive solution, allowing to enjoy good quality music? Upnp ? Airplay ? Bluetooth ? Optical ? I'm a little lost with these possibilities  Big Grin
Spotify is going to offer lossless soon, so no need to change. For FLAC files use Audirvana on the Macbook pro. Spotify connect is very good already if you choose the highest quality for streaming. Hard to notice any difference with Tidal Hires Files.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Spotify-Lossless
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
Once you get the 2nd Reactor, focus on placement in room, like you would with any stereo speakers. Place them on stands, if possible, away from walls. You will be rewarded with a good sounding system.