Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Master / Companion distinction still needed?
I have a three Experts system and in the past developed elaborate connections/ remote setup to run L + C + R music. With Roon RAAT I recently started evaluating the need to keep my Lumin U1 streamer and it occurred to me that I can accomplish the three channel setup much easier now with each of the Devialet's running as mono Master and grouped as a system in Roon. Still evaluating the sound signature, but quite frankly can't hear any difference yet.

Am I missing something, any reasons why a three or two Masters setup would be inferior to a regular Master / Companion setup? One simple benefit is access to all inputs on the "Companion. You can also remove a potentially expensive Companion link wire.
Devialet 1000s, Belcanto 600Ms, Vivid Audio Giya G3, C1, V1w and sub, Trinnov AL16, QNAP TVS-471 NAS, Oppo 203, Siltech, Crystal Cable, Synergistic Research
That’s interesting, how did you manage that in Roon?

Doing away with the master to companion link cable is appealing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
You configure each Devialet as Mono Master with WIFI or LAN access, connect to your local LAN, enable both in Roon and create a group in Roon including both of them. If you click on the Devialet icon in Roon (bottom right) you should see both of them and an option to link them together.
Devialet 1000s, Belcanto 600Ms, Vivid Audio Giya G3, C1, V1w and sub, Trinnov AL16, QNAP TVS-471 NAS, Oppo 203, Siltech, Crystal Cable, Synergistic Research
Thanks. I guess your limited to controlling the volume only in Roon? I only have a single remote for my 440pro.

Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
(30-Apr-2019, 18:18)rafal123 Wrote: One simple benefit is access to all inputs on the "Companion. You can also remove a potentially expensive Companion link wire.

I don’t see how you could use any of the other digital inputs on either the master or companion if they are not linked with the master to companion link cable. Surely you’d be limited to input from Roon only?

So, from what I can work out, you have to configure both as a mono left and a mono right channel, no linkage?

I can understand that in your case @rafal123 with 3 monos it might be a simpler setup but for a dual mono setup, what's the problem with having a link cable?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(01-May-2019, 00:19)Pim Wrote: So, from what I can work out, you have to configure both as a mono left and a mono right channel, no linkage?

I can understand that in your case @rafal123 with 3 monos it might be a simpler setup but for a dual mono setup, what's the problem with having a link cable?

Not really a problem, but a potential simplification. I have a long cable running from Right to Left and it was rather difficult to make it work for high resolution files. I needed impedance matcher to make it work and the cable is quite expensive.

You are right, you will be limited to Roon only, although I feed my turntable signal from my Center to Stereo pair through digital without Master/ Companion wiring.
(30-Apr-2019, 19:24)disarmamant Wrote: Thanks. I guess your limited to controlling the volume only in Roon? I only have a single remote for my 440pro.

I have one remote that controls volume on all three Devialets, you just need to enable remote in configurator for all devices and pair it with each one separately. If you do that volume adjusts on all your devices with only one remote.