Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Phantom setup without wifi?
I'm living in a place for the next few months where I don't have wifi, only tethered 4G internet via my phone.

I have a single non-Bluetooth Silver Phantom plus Dialog and wondering what my best set up chain should be.

I also have an Airport Express and an Apple TV (latest generation), and the three of us in our household all use Apple gear: iPhones, iPads, Macbooks.

For the next few months, I'd be happy if I could simply stream music from Deezer.

Advice please!

Andrew
(26-Sep-2016, 23:01)andrewhollo Wrote: I'm living in a place for the next few months where I don't have wifi, only tethered 4G internet via my phone.

I have a single non-Bluetooth Silver Phantom plus Dialog and wondering what my best set up chain should be.

I also have an Airport Express and an Apple TV (latest generation), and the three of us in our household all use Apple gear: iPhones, iPads, Macbooks.

For the next few months, I'd be happy if I could simply stream music from Deezer.

Advice please!

Andrew
Use the airport express. Set up as a wifi client (join a wifi network). Connect it to your 4G tether. Enable AirPlay. Connect Express via optical to phantom.
(27-Sep-2016, 21:19)jcd1877 Wrote: Use the airport express. Set up as a wifi client (join a wifi network). Connect it to your 4G tether. Enable AirPlay. Connect Express via optical to phantom.

Thanks. How does my AE join a wifi network when there's no existing wifi in the premises?

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Use the AE to create a new WiFi network, then join the network you created with your iPhone, iPad, etc.
As a temporary fix you could buy a Bluetooth dongle and stream from your phone.
(28-Sep-2016, 00:29)andrewhollo Wrote:
(27-Sep-2016, 21:19)jcd1877 Wrote: Use the airport express. Set up as a wifi client (join a wifi network). Connect it to your 4G tether. Enable AirPlay. Connect Express via optical to phantom.

Thanks. How does my AE join a wifi network when there's no existing wifi in the premises?

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn on your iphone's hotspot. It should be discoverable as "Andrews phone" or whatever you have called your phone. On a Mac or iPad, open Airport utility. Follow these instructions to "Join a Wireless Network" https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201621. You should be able to find your hotspot wireless network called "Andrews phone".

Remember to enable Airplay in the airport utility.
I can do all of what you've suggested, but still can only play music that's stored locally on my phone / computer, not streaming via 4G. Can someone advise please? I'm talking to Devialet Helpdesk too, but they take 24 hours to answer each query!

Andrew
Sorry - I missed you had a dialog. With the AE in wireless client mode, connect it to the dialog via an Ethernet cable. No need to enable airplay. Now your dialog will have internet access via the EA which will be connecting to your iPhone hotspot. I'm assuming now you should be able to enable one of the streaming services on the dialog.
(29-Sep-2016, 12:21)jcd1877 Wrote: Sorry - I missed you had a dialog. With the AE in wireless client mode, connect it to the dialog via an Ethernet cable. No need to enable airplay. Now your dialog will have internet access via the EA which will be connecting to your iPhone hotspot. I'm assuming now you should be able to enable one of the streaming services on the dialog.

Thanks JCD,

Yes, streaming works fine when I simply connected Dialog to AE with Ethernet cable. Took the optical out of the chain altogether. Thanks again.

Andrew