Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best SAM'd bookshelf speakers around $5000
I have limited speaker placement space but a fairly large listening space around 5m x 8m.
They need to sit on a stone bench approx 60cm high about 20cm from rear wall. Maybe 2.5 m apart.
D200.  Running WAVs and synology server. Listen to stereo , diverse music, pop, metal, jazz, electronica, classical etc. Happy to add a subbie in ceiling for extra low end.
Ideally available in Australia if possible.
Design style should be fairly simple, not way out- we are doing Scandinavian style extension...
I prefer a slightly warmish but big sound to really fill the space. Sometimes I listen a little load and throw parties Cool

Any thoughts most welcome !  Thanks
For me now, definitely KEF LS50. Sounds big and can easily filled your 5m x 8m room. I would recommend you give more room on the rear. Reasonably priced and leave you with plenty of $$$. Big Grin
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(17-Jun-2015, 12:58)Gigantorex Wrote: I have limited speaker placement  space but a fairly large listening space around 5m x 8m.
They need to sit on a stone bench approx 60cm high about 20cm from rear wall.  Maybe 2.5 m apart.
D200.  Running WAVs and synology server. Listen to stereo , diverse music, pop, metal, jazz, electronica, classical etc. Happy to add a subbie in ceiling for extra low end.
Ideally available in Australia if possible.
Design style should be fairly simple, not way out- we are doing Scandinavian style extension...
I prefer a slightly warmish but big sound to really fill the space. Sometimes I listen a little load and throw parties Cool  

Any thoughts most welcome !  Thanks

Hi,

I will suggest the ones I use my self, Raidho X1. They fill my room of 4x7 meters with more than I can handle. Though I notice that you mention that they need to sit on the bench. I would say that is a waste of investment not to use them with dedicated stands. I guess you'll need at least some kind of feet solution under the speakers if not using stands.

Best of luck with the hunting/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Welcome,

I've always been a fan of small speakers that 'outperform' for their size. I also like audio systems that don't dominate a room, but that is because my hi-fi has always been part of the living room. As such, I still have a pair of the original ProAc Tablettes and Opera Operetta stand-mounts.

Since I bought my D120 in Feb, I have been browsing for a similar speaker. My thoughts were that the KEF LS50 is very good, and the SAM profile is a bonus. I liked it, but preferred the others that I listened to subsequently . The Athom GT-1 is very good, and with SAM, gives remarkable sound, and with a D200 can fill a room at reasonable volumes. The Revel M106 is also quite nice, and a bit softer in presentation. They are well under your budget, I think. Two others that I would certainly recommend are the new (I think) PMC mini monitor DB1 Gold was very impressive. They also make a 20 series, but I have not seen or heard it. Finally, the Totem Element Ember or Fire are also very good. The non-element series is more ordinary to me but they are still very good.

I think that the location is a big factor in small speakers, so, perhaps, the front-port of a speaker like the PMC would be well suited to your location.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks for the responses!
I will try and listen to both, living in shanghai now so still need to find a dealer.
Would rather go with floor standers but room design prevents both this and speaker stands.
Speakers need to sit on 60cm high bench- a couple of dealers said it will be fine if it's stone bench , with chunks of blue tack underneath... I guess it's a low tech solution but open to ideas on how to get the best sound out of them on stone bench! (I've always had floor standers)
Thanks
yes I was thinking perhaps front ports would be suitable given location so will give pmc a try too.
I want to do the d200 justice as much as possible within the room constraints since its really transformed my old Jamo 7.7s
Surprising to see some promoting the KEF LS50's, being that they are only a fraction of your budget. Having said that, they are very good indeed, giant killers perhaps, so don't dismiss them without a listen. Plus there are a few folk on here who are running LS50's with Devialet amps. But if you really want to blow your budget, maybe the new KEF Reference 1, gorgeous looking and very competent.
Gigantorex, I know the PMC distributor'a boss in Shanghai. PM me if you want to go private listening.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I would really like to hear these. I'm partial to ribbon tweeters and these seem to be the best of the best http://en.devialet.com/speakers/grand-cr...-essentiel
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

I have had both the KEF LS50's and the Atohm GT1's. If you are locating close to a wall i would recommend the Atohm GT1's as they are bottom ported. Don't buy the Devialet Atohm GT1 SE's as they are rear ported as oppposed to the 'normal' versions bottom port. The bottom port makes them a little easier to place.

The LS50's were ok but i preferred the GT1's. Much greater bottom end, bigger sound, and a touch on the warm side. I also think they look fantastic (mind you the LS50's look good also).

Where in AUS are you?