Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best quality optical into Phantom?
Got to wondering what is the best way to get the highest quality input into the Phantoms from a computer source: 

On the Devialet side: Optical into Dialog or Phantom? 

On the ouput side there are some options: 
1. Computer USB to Optical using one of the small dongles by iFi or hifimediy - and then into the Dialog/Phantom
2. Computer Wifi to Apple Express which then outputs Optical to Dialog/Phantom 
3. Any other options? 

Love to hear any observations. Thanks!
I have tried a several optical cables.

For me the best sounding ones are:

Audioquest diamond

Atlas mavros glass
Jonnydev, what other optical cables did you try?
(03-Dec-2015, 11:09)deviousalet Wrote: Jonnydev, what other optical cables did you try?

The one i recieved from devialet with the Bluetooth module
Audioquest cinnamon
Audioquest vodka
Atlas a Cheaper one then the mavros glass
And a qed, i don't no what type was at this moment
Thanks.

I've enjoyed the improvement of a Lifatec Silflex over Monster and generic optical cables, but haven't tried the ones you have.
The atlas mavros and the audioquest Diamond sounding for me the best of all
More musical. Fuller and more lifelike and voices etc. on the right place.
My config from computer/NAS Music files and Roon master is Cat 6 Ethernet to my gigabit switch. From the gigabit switch via Cat 6 Ethernet cables to Bluesound node 2, Apple TV, Oppo BDP 105 D and Marantz AVP 8801. The digital optical outs from the Bluesound,Apple,and OPPO connect to an Octava HD41-ARC HDMI and optical switch using wireworld supernova 7 1 meter  Toslink cables. The   8801 Zone 4 HDMI output is HDMI 2.0 cabled to the HDMI 1 input on the Octava switch. The Octava digital optical out is connected to my Dspeaker 2.0 Antimode (for room correction and tweaking) via a 1 meter supernova 7 Toslink. The Dspeaker optical out is connected to the Dialog optical in via a 2 meter supernova 7 Toslink.

No WiFi in the audio signal path. The Dialog and 3Silver Phantoms in my network are cat 6 Ethernet plus
CPL. Tidal is streamed either from the OPPO, Bluesound, or Roon on my Mac Pro via the wired network. I do not use the Spark on board Tidal interface as it sucks.

I'm not promoting wireworld supernova's  glass fiber as my own ABX listening finds that the Blue Jeans eksa plastic Toslinks are excellent, as are the mid priced Audioquest Toslinks. Parenthetically, I would have preferred an all  cat 6/7 Ethernet, or coax, or ST fiber or hi-q USB connectivity option set with my gear.....

YMMV based on your application and gear set and listening environment.  My objective was to get a high integrity "wired-optical" signal path from my computer and networked sources to the Dialog.

The music sounds great, and the system is rock solid.

I am not a fan of Devialet's WiFi ... They source the radios from Gemicom Tech in Taiwan. When they start using 802.11 AC Wave 2 radios from companies like Ruckus then I'll try their WiFi-delity again.
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.
I am not a believer in expensive digital cables ,Analog cables yes sure , but digital, No.
that said i do prefer a true Glass optical over the more common cheap plastic fibre type.

For me UPsampling to a higher frequency and or bit rate in software is where its at.

Try Foobar with the "SoX " plugin installed, set to output 96khz or higher and see what you hear .
(03-Dec-2015, 17:53)ondastar Wrote: My config from computer/NAS Music files and Roon master is Cat 6 Ethernet to my gigabit switch. From the gigabit switch via Cat 6 Ethernet cables to Bluesound node 2, Apple TV, Oppo BDP 105 D and Marantz AVP 8801. The digital optical outs from the Bluesound,Apple,and OPPO connect to an Octava HD41-ARC HDMI and optical switch using wireworld supernova 7 1 meter  Toslink cables. The   8801 Zone 4 HDMI output is HDMI 2.0 cabled to the HDMI 1 input on the Octava switch. The Octava digital optical out is connected to my Dspeaker 2.0 Antimode (for room correction and tweaking) via a 1 meter supernova 7 Toslink. The Dspeaker optical out is connected to the Dialog optical in via a 2 meter supernova 7 Toslink.

No WiFi in the audio signal path. The Dialog and 3Silver Phantoms in my network are cat 6 Ethernet plus
CPL. Tidal is streamed either from the OPPO, Bluesound, or Roon on my Mac Pro via the wired network. I do not use the Spark on board Tidal interface as it sucks.

I'm not promoting wireworld supernova's  glass fiber as my own ABX listening finds that the Blue Jeans eksa plastic Toslinks are excellent, as are the mid priced Audioquest Toslinks. Parenthetically, I would have preferred an all  cat 6/7 Ethernet, or coax, or ST fiber or hi-q USB connectivity option set with my gear.....

YMMV based on your application and gear set and listening environment.  My objective was to get a high integrity "wired-optical" signal path from my computer and networked sources to the Dialog.

The music sounds great, and the system is rock solid.

I am not a fan of Devialet's WiFi ... They source the radios from Gemicom Tech in Taiwan. When they start using 802.11 AC Wave 2 radios from companies like Ruckus then I'll try their WiFi-delity again.

This is just about what I was looking for so thx alot :-D
Try for ethernet the Audioquest cat700 Carbon or the other audioquest cat 700 cables!