Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bluesound Node and Devialet
I have decided to try the Bluesound Node (449USD) to test its streaming capabilities. It only connects via optical, which is a bit disappointing, but it's been pretty well reviewed and has both Spotify and Tidal (the new CD quality streaming service), both of which I subscribe to, embedded in its operating system. This is key for me as I am trying to find something easy for my wife to access music via a tablet. I will pick up the Node when I travel back to the USA for Christmas (I currently live in France). I'll post my reflections once I have played with it.

I have a more robust device -- actually a music server -- on order from LH Labs (Geek Source) that should arrive sometime in 2015 once they get around to building the unit via a crowd sourcing campaign. That's a more high-level device with loads of storage (4TB). I am not sure at this point whether it will accommodate streaming services, though. At least I can try the Bluesound Node for its effectiveness and either keep it (for its streaming services capability) or sell it (if the Geek Source accommodates streaming services) once the Geek Source arrives.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
Flashman, I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with the Bluesound, as I've been toying with the idea of trying one myself. It would be good to know how it sounds with the Devialet (obviously!) and what you think of the control software (reliability, usability, etc.). Both very subjective points, I know...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(10-Dec-2014, 11:28)thumb5 Wrote: Flashman, I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with the Bluesound, as I've been toying with the idea of trying one myself. It would be good to know how it sounds with the Devialet (obviously!) and what you think of the control software (reliability, usability, etc.). Both very subjective points, I know...
thumb5, I would be glad to provide feedback, though some might say (my wife) that my 63-year-old ears are not the most reliable of instruments. I suppose you also know that Bluesound can't do DSD if that is important to you. Regarding the app, it gets high marks. Well, I shall review my experience in early January when I get back to France.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I have a bluesound node conncted to my 200. I only use it for Tidal (Wimp here in Norway) and it works great. I also have a Sonos system, and while the Sonos have better and more stable software the Bluesound sounds a lot better. Cd rips via Air still sounds better to me though.
(10-Dec-2014, 12:55)Stian Wrote: I have a bluesound node conncted to my 200. I only use it for Tidal (Wimp here in Norway) and it works great. I also have a Sonos system, and while the Sonos have better and more stable software the Bluesound sounds a lot better. Cd rips via Air still sounds better to me though.

Stian, I think for the purpose of "easy" listening for me and my wife, the Bluesound node playing Spotify and Tidal will suffice. When I am up for more critical listening, I probably will revert to Air or to the Geek Source via AES/EBU when it becomes available. Thanks for your feedback.
Too late now, I guess, but if you bought the NAD M50 instead then you would hAve the functionality of the Bluesound + the quality of the Geek source in In one box. Including Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(10-Dec-2014, 14:23)PhilP Wrote: Too late now, I guess, but if you bought the NAD M50 instead then you would hAve the functionality of the Bluesound + the quality of the Geek source in In one box. Including Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify

Ah, life is full of choices!
(10-Dec-2014, 14:23)PhilP Wrote: Too late now, I guess, but if you bought the NAD M50 instead then you would hAve the functionality of the Bluesound + the quality of the Geek source in In one box. Including Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify

Does the NAD M50 get anywhere near AIR for sound quality? I also note that Pioneer have recently announced a new "N-70" streamer, which is probably quite user friendly. (and looks quite good) I very much doubt sound quality could match AIR though, but you never know.
(10-Dec-2014, 14:36)Confused Wrote:

Does the NAD M50 get anywhere near AIR for sound quality? I also note that Pioneer have recently announced a new "N-70" streamer, which is probably quite user friendly. (and looks quite good) I very much doubt sound quality could match AIR though, but you never know.

I know someone who owns an M50 and and M52 vault and he raves about them. That's playing through a mid-high end Naim system. I personally don't want a streamer that includes an internal optical drive otherwise the M50 would be on my short-list.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(10-Dec-2014, 10:46)Flashman Wrote: I have a more robust device -- actually a music server -- on order from LH Labs (Geek Source) that should arrive sometime in 2015 once they get around to building the unit via a crowd sourcing campaign. That's a more high-level device with loads of storage (4TB). I am not sure at this point whether it will accommodate streaming services, though. At least I can try the Bluesound Node for its effectiveness and either keep it (for its streaming services capability) or sell it (if the Geek Source accommodates streaming services) once the Geek Source arrives.

I'm on the line for one of these as well...I'm a little nervous about how the UX will turn out though.

Digital: ROON on Synology & SONOS Connect
Analog: Marantz TT-15s1 - ClearAudio Virtuoso MM Wood

Main: Devialet D250 - KEF LS50