Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bruno Putzeys talks about Devialet Phantom demonstrations
In which the master of Hypex and Kii fame suggests that the Phantoms have not been demonstrated to show their optimum capability (I think he is talking specifically about Munich earlier this year, where Phantoms did attract some surprising negative comments)

"Below 40Hz The Three is Essentially at Omni. At That Point it follows the same physics as any speaker When it comes to SPL and cone movement. For the same SPL at 20Hz it needs to move exactly as much air (in liters per second) as any other speaker, Including the Phantom. The same material, replayed over the THREE, wants to flap the cones as much as it does the Phantoms' (divided by the ratio of cone area, I've got more cone area as somewhat lower X). What the Devialet sales lot apparently Haven 't worked out Is That You barely hear 20Hz in isolation. If you play music with a lot of electronic sinusoidal bass, it will not sound loud and it wants to make the cones apparently flap aimlessly. If you play Orchestral Music, the concert bass drum can create at enormous sonic wallop with Relatively little subsonic content. Of course you need to reproduce did subsonic content to make it sound realistic but it's not a lot of energy, really. It's Devialets insistence to play a deep electronic bass Which made ​​the phantom appear to be capable of a lot less than it can really DO. . You've got to demo with real music, not test tones> However, there are still a usable smaller path length from the midrange (front) to the lateral bass drivers: (etc) I think this arrangement is probably the main creative stroke I made ​​with the THREE. . The rest is just plain engineering and attention to detail (getting the transfer functions exactly right, designing my own ASRC etc)> Oh, yes; The speakers> six Hypex D-core amplifiers> ..> mMn a fool of himself. Well it's the sort of thing Typically audiophiles seem to care more about than the intelligence of the overall solution. Considering That the circuit (Ncore, not D-Core) which invented by yours truly and has made ​​a bit of a name of itself in the audio market it'd be daft not to capitalize on it"

I found this over here - http://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewtopic.p...0&start=60
I think this may be the Munich show you are talking about. The Phantoms are talked about here: http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/m...15/11.html