Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bryston BDP Digital Players
OK, as requested by some readers, the Bryston BDP digital players discussion was starting to "hijack" the Aurender thread therefore, I'm starting a separate Bryston BDP Digital Players thread for your input.

I'll start by saying that I own the Bryston BDP-2 digital player and absolutely love it! My FLAC music files are located on an external USB hard drive and connected directly to the BDP-2. For control points, I'm using MPaD on my iPad Mini and MPoD on my iPhone 6 Plus. The BDP-2 connects to my Devialet 200 via an Atlas Mavros AES/EBU digital cable. I purchased my BDP-2 in Dec/2012 and in July/2015 I upgraded the sound card (Bryston calls it an Integrated Audio Device [IAD]). Until now, everything has worked flawlessly with no issues and the sound is amazing, especially after upgrading the sound card (IAD)!

Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player

Atlas Mavros AES/EBU Digital Cable

Bryston Integrated Audio Device
I have to say that this ticks a lot of boxes for me, I like the idea of simply plugging in a USB hard drive, plus I have a possibly irrational dislike of USB, and the Bryston is equipped with the apparently optimal for Devialet XLR output. Good stuff!

As some may have spotted previously on this forum, I do have a bit of a thing for track ratings. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe that track ratings are not supported by MPad?
(11-Aug-2015, 19:21)Nsamurai7595 Wrote: OK, as requested by some readers, the Bryston BDP digital players discussion was starting to "hijack" the Aurender thread therefore, I'm starting a separate Bryston BDP Digital Players thread for your input.

I'll start by saying that I own the Bryston BDP-2 digital player and absolutely love it!  My FLAC music files are located on an external USB hard drive and connected directly to the BDP-2.  For control points, I'm using MPaD on my iPad Mini and MPoD on my iPhone 6 Plus. The BDP-2 connects to my Devialet 200 via an Atlas Mavros AES/EBU digital cable.  I purchased my BDP-2 in Dec/2012 and in July/2015 I upgraded the sound card (Bryston calls it an Integrated Audio Device [IAD]).  Until now, everything has worked flawlessly with no issues and the sound is amazing, especially after upgrading the sound card (IAD)!

Are you considering installing an internal HDD or SSD?
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(11-Aug-2015, 22:35)rwjr44 Wrote:
(11-Aug-2015, 19:21)Nsamurai7595 Wrote: OK, as requested by some readers, the Bryston BDP digital players discussion was starting to "hijack" the Aurender thread therefore, I'm starting a separate Bryston BDP Digital Players thread for your input.

I'll start by saying that I own the Bryston BDP-2 digital player and absolutely love it!  My FLAC music files are located on an external USB hard drive and connected directly to the BDP-2.  For control points, I'm using MPaD on my iPad Mini and MPoD on my iPhone 6 Plus. The BDP-2 connects to my Devialet 200 via an Atlas Mavros AES/EBU digital cable.  I purchased my BDP-2 in Dec/2012 and in July/2015 I upgraded the sound card (Bryston calls it an Integrated Audio Device [IAD]).  Until now, everything has worked flawlessly with no issues and the sound is amazing, especially after upgrading the sound card (IAD)!

This is very easy actually.
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(11-Aug-2015, 19:21)samurai7595 Wrote: OK, as requested by some readers, the Bryston BDP digital players discussion was starting to "hijack" the Aurender thread therefore, I'm starting a separate Bryston BDP Digital Players thread for your input.

I am also a very happy user of a new BDP-2, which came with the new sound card preinstalled.
(Before that I had the Bryston BDP-1, but there was an improvement in the AES/EBU sound with the new sound card on the BDP-2.)

I am using Kubala-Sosna Elation AES/EBU 1m to connect to my master unit: this cable is the premium Kubala-Sosna AES-EBU, and is also a big improvement relative to the Kubala Sosna Emotion AES/EBU (the next model below) that I had before.
The Kubala-Sosna Elation AES/EBU 1m has MSRP of $2,700 in the US, but you can probably negotiate a better deal with your dealer.
It works great for both PCM and DSD streaming, and in fact DSD streaming over this cable results in much improved sound compared to using the Kubala-Sosna Realization USB 1m (MSRP of $3,500).

Also, I highly recommend upgrading the fuses of the BDP-2 to the following kind:
Platinum Reference “More Than a Fuse”
   http://www.audio-horizons.com/pages/fuse.html
This improved the performance easily with 7 - 12%.
Further improved details and depths of the soundstage.
(I am not affiliated with that company, just a happy customer.)

Both fuses should be 5x20mm glass fuses,

rated 250V and slow acting (time lag) types

These are for use in the US in my case, and so the voltage should be 120V.

The first should be rated 250 mA
The second 500 mA

Enjoy!
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
samurai7595, miro

Has you tried the Bryston BOT-1 optical transport with a BDP?
(12-Aug-2015, 02:33)bentrider Wrote: samurai7595, miro

I have not.

I have found that hi-res downloads give a much better sound than regular CDs,
and the BOT-1 cannot yet play SACDs.
(11-Aug-2015, 22:35)rwjr44 Wrote:

That would be my next step, to install an internal SSD.  I haven't had a chance to look into it but will probably attack it during the winter months.
(12-Aug-2015, 02:33)bentrider Wrote: samurai7595, miro

Nope, haven't tried a BOT-1 yet.

I'm currently using dBpoweramp on my Windows PC and purchasing/downloading Studio Master (192) FLAC music files (FLAC 24bit 192kHz) from Linn Records.