Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon RAAT versus Devialet AIR
Over time, I have often compared the sound quality of Roon RAAT versus Devialet AIR. I used various network configurations, various Expert Pro amplifiers, various amplifier settings / configurations, etc.
Each time, the result was the same: there is a small difference, but easily noticeable, especially in the bass area. Devialet AIR seems to reproduce bass more accurately, the bass being tighter and better controlled. At Roon RAAT there seems to be a kind of bass dissipation and less punch.
I know that this difference, theoretically, should not exist, but I have heard it every time.
Has anyone noticed this difference between Roon RAAT versus Devialet AIR?
I have exactly the same opinion.
RAAT seems clearly bolder and maybe a bit foggy, AIR more sharp and punchy, with "Air" between the instruments.
But there are differents points of view, maybe it depends on the rest of the system, i don´t know, but i prefer AIR for sure.
There's a poll about this subject. Take a look.

Which sounds best? Roon RAAT or Roon Integrated AIR (Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 )
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
When Roon AIR and RAAT had just come out there was a thread about the exact same. My conclusion at the time was there's no difference. I do however prefer USB and that difference was easy to pick.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(07-Oct-2020, 10:41)BoyScout Wrote: I have exactly the same opinion.
RAAT seems clearly bolder and maybe a bit foggy, AIR more sharp and punchy, with "Air" between the instruments.
But there are differents points of view, maybe it depends on the rest of the system, i don´t know, but i prefer AIR for sure.
There's a poll about this subject. Take a look.

Which sounds best? Roon RAAT or Roon Integrated AIR (Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 )

I would also agree upon this assessment.
What to prefer might also depend on the music genre.
I did all my tests without any DSP (neither in Roon, nor in Devialet), so as not to influence the result.
However, what intrigues me is that there is a difference, although it is the same system, both protocols are bit-perfect, both use the same input to Devialet (Ethernet).
I understand the differences between USB and Ethernet inputs, but I don't realize where the differences in the same input (Ethernet) come from.
Moreover, the differences always appear, in multiple conditions (with switch, with router, with direct cable, etc.) and always in a similar way. The only thing that differs is the protocol used (Roon RAAT versus Devialet AIR), but both should be bit-perfect, so they should have had the same result when using the same input to the amplifier. And yet the result differs...
Same here. RAAT sound a bit fuller. Long time preferred AIR but it sounds more clinical. Needed to reboot Roon on my NUC sometimes multiple times a week. When a moved to RAAT it is solid as a rock ;-)
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(10-Oct-2020, 18:39)iamwappie Wrote: Same here. RAAT sound a bit fuller. Long time preferred AIR but it sounds more clinical. Needed to reboot Roon on my NUC sometimes multiple times a week. When a moved to RAAT it is solid as a rock ;-)

Strange... I'm also using Roon ROCK, but with Devialet AIR: reboot was never necesary (except for Roon OS upgrades).