Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building your own
Took the plunge and ordered some HDplex stuff yesterday:

hd-plex h5, 160 watt power supply and dc-atx converter

Original intention was to add the following:

Intel Core I7-4770t Quad-Core
Asus Micro ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboard (H97M-E)
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM or similar
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB 2.5-Inch SSD
PAUL PANG CLOCK UPGRADE MODULE (what does this fit or not fit?)
PAUL PANG AUDIO GRADE V2 USB CARD
PAUL PANG AUDIO SARAH SATA CABLE 20cm

Running W2012 in core mode & JRiver

..but I am undecided about the Mboard & Processor. Specifically I want to make sure they work well together and are optimised for Windows Server 2012 R2, so although I can get away with an Intel i7 4770t Quad-Core which is essentially a desktop CPU, it will run WS2012, so I am aware that it is not likely to be optimised as such, so maybe a Xeon CPU would be better, which is more aligned to 'serving' rather than multitasking desktop/ graphic operations. Then of course this may mean I have to change the Mboard selection, I dunno....do you?

Ideas on the back of an envelope please?

Cheers
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
Hi.

I came down the same road already one year ago...

From my experience I strongly recommend the use of INTEL server mainboards and XEON CPU.

I have directly compared the i7 with a similar XEON and the server setup sounded much better.

But do yourself a favour and check the JPLAY software too. To my ears JRiver is not in the same class SQ wise....

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan