Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bulletproof Dialogue and Phantom configuration scenarios
(13-Nov-2015, 13:35)ondastar Wrote:
(13-Nov-2015, 11:58)Johnnydev Wrote: Hi ondastar,

Good idee so, i wil give my flawlesly working wireless system in a new replay, but for now i have a question for you

You have a Dialogue and 3 Silver Phantoms and the P Remote all located in my music room. The Phantoms are set up as L&R channels and center Mix.

I have at this moment 2 x sliver phantoms and a remote and want to buy a third silver phantom as a center speaker.

Can you please explain how this functions in a stereo with center phantom?

The Spark app sets the Dialog to configure the Center as a "mix" of the stereo L&R channel audio signals. In effect the "mix" is a mono center channel.
The acoustic performance is excellent in creating an ambient spatial feeling.

Oke thanks, but serving you with the devialet remote the volume all three at once?

And do you listen by stereo streaming of cd's also with all the three phantoms at once?
(13-Nov-2015, 14:38)Johnnydev Wrote:
(13-Nov-2015, 13:35)ondastar Wrote:
(13-Nov-2015, 11:58)Johnnydev Wrote: Hi ondastar,

Good idee so, i wil give my flawlesly working wireless system in a new replay, but for now i have a question for you

You have a Dialogue and 3 Silver Phantoms and the P Remote all located in my music room. The Phantoms are set up as L&R channels and center Mix.

I have at this moment 2 x sliver phantoms and a remote and want to buy a third silver phantom as a center speaker.

Can you please explain how this functions in a stereo with center phantom?

The Spark app sets the Dialog to configure the Center as a "mix" of the stereo L&R channel audio signals. In effect the "mix" is a mono center channel.

Oke thanks, but serving you with the devialet remote the volume all three at once?

And do you listen by stereo streaming of cd's also with all the three phantoms at once?
The Devialet remote controls the volume for the 3 phantoms simultaneously. It performs very well. 

Yes, the optical in stereo sources (CD,DVD,NAS,ROON etc), and the streaming (TIDAL etc) stereo signals are separated by the Dialog and  the L&R channel information is sent to the L&R Phantoms and blends the L&R for the "mix" center Phantom. Acoustically excellent triangle.
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.
A costly triangle! Smile
(13-Nov-2015, 16:51)ondastar Wrote:
(13-Nov-2015, 14:38)Johnnydev Wrote:
(13-Nov-2015, 13:35)ondastar Wrote: The Spark app sets the Dialog to configure the Center as a "mix" of the stereo L&R channel audio signals. In effect the "mix" is a mono center channel.

The Devialet remote controls the volume for the 3 phantoms simultaneously. It performs very well. 

Yes, the optical in stereo sources (CD,DVD,NAS,ROON etc), and the streaming (TIDAL etc) stereo signals are separated by the Dialog and  the L&R channel information is sent to the L&R Phantoms and blends the L&R for the "mix" center Phantom. Acoustically excellent triangle.

WoW Thats fine when it's function that way, then i think i order the third one !
My setup is something in-between the one of ondastar and Johnnydev. Before I received my 3rd Phantom (one with BT) I had a very stable setup very similar to the one of Johnnydev. My wireless router is a different, older model (Linksys E3000). As difference I connected a Mac-Mini by Ethernet to the router for serving local files. Since I have 3 Phantoms I have some problems with drop-outs from time to time when the 3rd Phantom is connected further away from Dialog and not plugged to the same power branch than the other Phantoms. I configure the 3rd Phantom as mix but in another room. This gives the flexibility to run with Spark either all 3 Phantoms or only two in the Rooms tab. Regarding placement I did not like to have the 3rd Phantom placed between the L and R one. This reduced the great soundstage of the Phantoms to a mediocre stereo with little 'out of phase' positioning of instruments. But placing the 3rd Phantom in the back of the main listening area really expands space and increases a 3D experience. Looking forward to new modes of Spark making use of multiple Phantoms, hopefully.
So IMO 2 Phantoms can be used wirelessly. More than two need special conditions like ethernet wired connections or a good PLC network.
(13-Nov-2015, 18:23)Johnnydev Wrote:
(13-Nov-2015, 16:51)ondastar Wrote:
(13-Nov-2015, 14:38)Johnnydev Wrote: Oke thanks, but serving you with the devialet remote the volume all three at once?

WoW Thats fine when it's function that way, then i think i order the third one !

Hi ondastar, before i order. 

plaese can you explaine the difference in sound by streaming or playing cd with the stereo set up or with the stereo set up including the center speaker (all 3 at the same time)?
(13-Nov-2015, 18:50)Johnnydev Wrote:
(13-Nov-2015, 18:23)Johnnydev Wrote:
(13-Nov-2015, 16:51)ondastar Wrote: The Devialet remote controls the volume for the 3 phantoms simultaneously. It performs very well. 

plaese can you explaine the difference in sound by streaming or playing cd with the stereo set up or with the stereo set up including the center speaker (all 3 at the same time)?

I started with 2 Silver Phantoms in a typical L&R stereo configuration and did a lot of placement variation and frequency analysis to achieve the best (to my ears) acoustic experience using a variety of my favorite recordings... Sonically, the digital source material whether CD or streamed is highly variable based on the SQ chain of the studio, artist, engineer, production format and delivery bitstream integrity. 

My music room dimensions are based on Golden Ratio Trapagon engineering (see George Cardas excellent website for details) and has high cubic volume with lots of breathing room for the full power of the Phantoms, so I ordered the 3rd Silver Phantom and then went through another cycle of placement variation and measurements. 

Using the 3rd Phantom as a "mix" in my current configuration creates the effect of 3 dimensionality and airiness that is breathtaking, and with the most exquisite delicacy in clarity of voices and instruments in space.... all from a 3 speaker system. 

My principle audio gear is Wilson/Levinson and in it's 2.1 or 7.1 configuration (for stereo) it is only minimally better than my Phantom 2.1 configuration ... at a cost 20 times the Devialet set up.

Your mileage may vary, but you have lot's to work with in a 2.1 Phantom configuration in placement variation and listening analysis to get yourself a superior musical experience.
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.
(13-Nov-2015, 22:38)ondastar Wrote:
(13-Nov-2015, 18:50)Johnnydev Wrote:
(13-Nov-2015, 18:23)Johnnydev Wrote: WoW Thats fine when it's function that way, then i think i order the third one !

I started with 2 Silver Phantoms in a typical L&R stereo configuration and did a lot of placement variation and frequency analysis to achieve the best (to my ears) acoustic experience using a variety of my favorite recordings... Sonically, the digital source material whether CD or streamed is highly variable based on the SQ chain of the studio, artist, engineer, production format and delivery bitstream integrity. 

My music room dimensions are based on Golden Ratio Trapagon engineering (see George Cardas excellent website for details) and has high cubic volume with lots of breathing room for the full power of the Phantoms, so I ordered the 3rd Silver Phantom and then went through another cycle of placement variation and measurements. 

Using the 3rd Phantom as a "mix" in my current configuration creates the effect of 3 dimensionality and airiness that is breathtaking, and with the most exquisite delicacy in clarity of voices and instruments in space.... all from a 3 speaker system. 

My principle audio gear is Wilson/Levinson and in it's 2.1 or 7.1 configuration (for stereo) it is only minimally better than my Phantom 2.1 configuration ... at a cost 20 times the Devialet set up.

Your mileage may vary, but you have lot's to work with in a 2.1 Phantom configuration in placement variation and listening analysis to get yourself a superior musical experience.

Thank you, Thats very interesting  Rolleyes Wink
(13-Nov-2015, 23:14)Johnnydev Wrote:
(13-Nov-2015, 22:38)ondastar Wrote:
(13-Nov-2015, 18:50)Johnnydev Wrote: Hi ondastar, before i order. 

Hi J.... Couldn't wait... Did you get a 3rd, and if so  how is it doing?
(18-Nov-2015, 04:44)ondastar Wrote:
(13-Nov-2015, 23:14)Johnnydev Wrote:
(13-Nov-2015, 22:38)ondastar Wrote: I started with 2 Silver Phantoms in a typical L&R stereo configuration and did a lot of placement variation and frequency analysis to achieve the best (to my ears) acoustic experience using a variety of my favorite recordings... Sonically, the digital source material whether CD or streamed is highly variable based on the SQ chain of the studio, artist, engineer, production format and delivery bitstream integrity. 

Hi J.... Couldn't wait... Did you get a 3rd, and if so  how is it doing?

Not yet, i still have a little doubt