Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bumped up to Phantom 103dB (Classic) - placement guide
Hi all. It's been an interesting few weeks dealing with Devialet. I ordered a pair of refurbished Phantom Premier Glossy 103dB to set up in 2-channel stereo. One arrived with a dent in one woofer, and was replaced by Devialet no questions asked. There were audio dropout issues (they sound like "burps" or “blips”). I wasn't able to solve without going direct optical mode, which suits my set up just fine. I didn't have such issues with a pair of Reactor 900 (Phantom II 98dB) in stereo. 

Anyway, now that I had them working 100% I spent time with placement, and thought I'd share some photos as they may help with placement in your listening space. Of course every room is different, however the following could be considered a basic starting point.

Phantoms are about 1 foot from the front wall and toed-in towards the main listening position. They are approx 7.5ft apart and approx 9ft from the main listening position. The open archway behind lets them breathe without affecting bass. If no archway they may need to be further than 1 foot from the front wall in your space to get the best sound. They sound good closer to the wall if you've no option, but I found the sound opens up when further away from the front wall. I also use digital room correction with sofas, cushions and carpeting acting as physical room correction.

I really enjoy this setup.

Cheers.

[Image: VnCW2Kw.jpg]

[Image: u9jCPGS.jpg]
[Image: scR4s0K.jpg]
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i
Good to hear that you have taken the effort to place the Phantoms in a proper position in the room. And thank you for sharing your set up.

Far too many people, including so-called reviewers and even some HI-Fi retailers, treat the Phantoms as lifestyle Bluetooth boom boxes.  It frustrates me to see Devialet continue to market them as such...  Angry
(26-Apr-2022, 00:15)Snoopy8 Wrote: Good to hear that you have taken the effort to place the Phantoms in a proper position in the room. And thank you for sharing your set up.

Far too many people, including so-called reviewers and even some HI-Fi retailers, treat the Phantoms as lifestyle Bluetooth boom boxes.  It frustrates me to see Devialet continue to market them as such...  Angry

I read an interesting interview with one of Devialet’s founders. He spoke about wanting to disrupt the audio space when they were developing their entry into the speaker world. They already had success with their amplifiers. Their first speaker design was a conventional box speaker which they scrapped because they felt it would get lost in the space. Then they released their first Phantom in 2016. I remember their marketing was all about being wireless and I completely dismissed them even though it was a high end audio retailer who wanted to show them to me. I feel their current mainstream marketing has certainly improved in terms of marketing them as a high end offering, but it’s still designed to be disruptive in the market. On the other end they’ve done some cool things with the opera line and installation with Opera Paris. 

Their lastest firmware appears to be buggy which is such a shame because it is affecting the Phantom’s wireless and even Ethernet stability. Hopefully it’ll be on the mend with a future update. 

I do find the Phantom to be a revealing speaker. Poor recordings will pay the price. Excellent recordings sounds amazing. Not to be misinterpreted as revealing. I’d say there are more revealing speakers available. But when you consider these are much more than a speaker… they’re a DAC, amplifier, speaker with DSP, built in high resolution streaming etc. Not to mention the specs… their low end is jaw dropping. I love not having separate sub woofers taking up space anymore.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i