Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C.A.P.S v4 music server.
Ah ok, didn't know the last iterations are fanless. But still, PC's need to be optimized, especially for USB output, if you want better than average CD transport SQ. The NUC's don't offer a lot of options for that. They're not -my- first choice, nor is it an option (m)any enthousiasts at the different CA forums choose.

Just my $.02 If anyone else is happy with a NUC I am perfectly fine with that. Wink

PS. With the CPU argument my point was that a NUC CPU doesn't offer a comparable performance to a desktop i3/i5/i7. I only mentioned the graphics part inside a NUC i7 (Iris 6100) is better than in a Haswell desktop i3(/i5/i7) (mostly HD4600). However the integrated GPU of Haswell is sufficient for Roon.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Are you sure Intel delivers fanless NUC's? Can't find them. And yes, I do know the 3rd party solutions like Akasa.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I have tried these and not had any fan noise but the i7 does.

NUC5i3RYH and NUC5i5RYH.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(28-Jul-2015, 19:22)octaviars Wrote:
(28-Jul-2015, 18:57)NickB Wrote:
(28-Jul-2015, 10:34)Antoine Wrote: Personally I would never buy a NUC if that's the PC that's going to be hooked up to the Devialet. It isn't fanless and it can't be expanded/modified. It's only plus is that it's relatively small.

Also it isn't really cheap and the CPU's used cannot really be compared to their desktop versions even when they're also called i3/i5/i7. The NUC's i7 for example is only dual core and won't perform any better than a 35W Core i3 desktop CPU except for the integrated graphics part.

The NUC's make great small 'video oriented' HTPC's but if anyone values the best possible SQ into USB the CAPS like solutions are a much better choice.

I think you will find that both i3 and i5 of the latest NUC are fanless and Roon say that the hardest bit about running Roon is the graphics - the Audio part is easy and not processor intensive at all.

Is AIR working without any problems for you?

No I have a problem which happens about once an hour with jittery sound but just switch the Air app off and back on again. No great problem but then perhaps I am not pedantic about perfection.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
Actually forget graphics for roon fellas the second that headless server version comes out Smile

My xeon has HD graphics on the cpu, however the windows tech preview i have installed doesnt allow for it so without adding a whole bunch of features its just not possible to get roon to work without it but when it does, running it all from my ipad will be worth it
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
I just bought a NUC5i5RYH and still installing Windows on it. Apparently, even if I set the cooling to quiet, I can still hear fan noises. And, I'm using M.2 SSD drive, so there's no other component noise other than CPU fan noise.

Will update on SQ after installation complete.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Yep, NickB make me doubt but Intel NUC's (still) aren't fanless. Intel says they have a "Low-acoustics active cooling design" which are fancy words for saying it has a fan. Smile

The thing with fans is that they not only make acoustical noise but also electrical. Of course this is something only someone "pedantic about perfection" like me would mind. Wink

Anyway, there are fanless case solutions available for the NUC from 3rd party manufacturers like Akasa.

The Netherlands
I think I will sign out of this as I am using an i7 which is the hottest running of the NUC systems. I use it for running my whole IT business on and am typing this email on it and it stores my Audio and photos and documents on its 1TB drive. I am running this system with a nice 4K monitor so really pushing it.

The only time the fan has ever come on is when the initial cataloguing of the 750 GB of info that was dumped on the drive since then nothing - zilch - nada so not sure apart from playing complex games the fan is ever going to run.

I am also pretty sure that there is a vast amount of b/s about this terrible electrical noise that PC's generate as if you apply this to the limit your Devialet cannot sound any good as they have switch mode PSU as well, but they are the quietest amps I have ever not heard, so someone some where is wrong.

I suppose I could be deaf but don't think so. Big Grin

Hi NickB, don't take it personally. I was hoping the fan noise will be much lower. Afterall, I was used to my Mac Mini quietness. In any case, it could be my setting in the BIOS. I will play around more and see if I can get the fan noise lesser.

Now to the SQ. Somehow I have an option for Devialet USB ASIO or WASAPI. With ASIO, it seems SQ 'airier', and has a wider soundstage. More improvements coming: Linear power supply for my NUC and JPlay6.1. [Grin]
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

hk6230 if you are going to install 6.1 you should be downloading 6.2.

the alternate version is supposed to be even better.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)