Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
CAT cabling
There was a recent thread about network cabling. 

I don't believe in expensive cabling, but my broadband provider recently ran a 30m CAT5 cable from my modem to the access point just under my Devialet unit. The cable goes outside and is not an external cable. It will eventually degrade. 

I also want to re-do it as they put the cable under the carpet and I want to move it under the floorboards.

CAT5 is plenty fast enough, I was looking to use CAT 6+ because the signal wires are individually insulated with foil, the whole thing is then double insulated in foil and you can get external versions with serious weatherproofing, involving a grease layer and extra-thick external sheath that won't crack.

a 50m roll is about £50, the tool to cut and connect cable and a load of connectors and a testing device about another £50.

Has anyone done this or have any suggestions why this may be a good or bad idea.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
I would go for metal shielded ones, so they are rodent proof. I saw some cat7
I've just run shielded foiled cat 6A to my new living room. My cables have to run close and parallel to power cables so they needed to be shielded from interference. If your cables don't run close to any power cables you probably don't have to worry about shielding. I used to do network cabling for a living so I'm not worried about connecting them properly but if you've never done it before you want to make sure to do it right. The pairs are twisted the way they are for a reason. Don't untwist or over twist the pairs. Connect them as they are.

Good luck!
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
CAT6 cable (BlueJeans) here from the wall outlet to the Devialet, router, and NUC. the house itself (inside walls) was wired with CAT5E for the phone lines which I converted to ethernet connections and connect via a switch in the media panel.

Everything works as it should, sounds fine to my ears.

p.s. I am curious as to why your ethernet cable runs outside the house, as both my cable modem and router are inside the house. Is your cable modem on the outside of the house, or was this the easiest path from Point A to Point B?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(15-Dec-2017, 01:10)baddog Wrote: CAT6 cable (BlueJeans) here from the wall outlet to the Devialet, router, and NUC. the house itself (inside walls) was wired with CAT5E for the phone lines which I converted to ethernet connections and connect via a switch in the media panel.

Everything works as it should, sounds fine to my ears.

p.s. I am curious as to why your ethernet cable runs outside the house, as both my cable modem and router are inside the house. Is your cable modem on the outside of the house, or was this the easiest path from Point A to Point B?

Easiest route from A to B. The cable goes over a flat roof, down and in through a wall right behind the Devialet. 

I'll have plenty of spare cable, so will make up a few short cables as practise.

Thanks for the advice
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
I was also very happy with the Rosewill ethernet cables I got on Amazon.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Hello, here are a few notes on LAN cables:

UTP and FTP - the difference.
UTP stands for Unshielded Twister Pair. It is a cable with unshielded twisted pairs. For FTP cables (foiled twisted pair), the wire pairs are surrounded by a metallic shield. In general, FTP cables are less sensitive to power line interference than UTP cables. The crosstalk between the individual wire pairs is also reduced by the shielding.

When it comes to the highest transmission quality, you should therefore choose FTP cable.
The CAT-7 standard is the fastest and best shielded standard among network cables.
CAT-7 cables can reach an operating frequency of up to 600 MHz. The subcategory CAT-7a even manages up to 1,000 MHz.
All cables of the CAT-7 category have 4 separately shielded wire pairs in a complete shield. As a result, almost no secondary signals come to the cable.

With cheap LAN cables, there is still a serious difference, the individual wires are made of aluminum and coated only with a thin layer of copper !! Aluminum is not exactly the best conductor !!! Sad

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf   UC900-HS23.pdf (Size: 86.19 KB / Downloads: 3)
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Please also check the CAT 8 spec from Supra cables. A litle more expensive than others,but certainly worth it!!!

Στάλθηκε από το ALE-L21 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
(15-Dec-2017, 14:29)K4680 Wrote: Hello, here are a few notes on LAN cables:

UTP stands for Unshielded Twister Pair. It is a cable with unshielded twisted pairs. For FTP cables (foiled twisted pair), the wire pairs are surrounded by a metallic shield. In general, FTP cables are less sensitive to power line interference than UTP cables. The crosstalk between the individual wire pairs is also reduced by the shielding.

When it comes to the highest transmission quality, you should therefore choose FTP cable.
The CAT-7 standard is the fastest and best shielded standard among network cables.
CAT-7 cables can reach an operating frequency of up to 600 MHz. The subcategory CAT-7a even manages up to 1,000 MHz.
All cables of the CAT-7 category have 4 separately shielded wire pairs in a complete shield. As a result, almost no secondary signals come to the cable.

With cheap LAN cables, there is still a serious difference, the individual wires are made of aluminum and coated only with a thin layer of copper !! Aluminum is not exactly the best conductor !!! Sad

Thanks for the advice. By FTP do you mean S/FTP?
https://www.belden.com/blog/digital-buil...o-use-them

Would you have any recommendations what exactly would be a good quality CAT-7 S/FTP but that wouldn't be silly expensive?
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(15-Dec-2017, 14:50)petrik Wrote:
(15-Dec-2017, 14:29)K4680 Wrote: Hello, here are a few notes on LAN cables:

Thanks for the advice. By FTP do you mean S/FTP?
https://www.belden.com/blog/digital-buil...o-use-them

Would you have any recommendations what exactly would be a good quality CAT-7 S/FTP but that wouldn't be silly expensive?

Yes, S/FTP!!
For example, DRAKA UC900

Attached Files
.pdf   UC900-HS23.pdf (Size: 86.19 KB / Downloads: 10)
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria