Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CD Player vs CD Transport Advice Sought
(15-Apr-2020, 21:25)alandbush Wrote:
(15-Apr-2020, 16:37)Damon Wrote: ... and I have not found any good streaming service for Classical music.

OT - but have you tried Idagio?
A free version is available that allows the streaming of classical music in a radio style seeded by your initial choice of album, composer or mood.

Hi @alandbush

As this is 'my' thread, I'll be the judge of what is or is not off topic. And I say, excellent suggestion, thanks. I am sure that many here will be interested in this information. And not really OT as it could guide my decision about a CD player or transport purchase. Or a NAS.

Many thanks.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Here's my 2 cents to this thread.

My primary source is streaming .. Roon Nucleus+ >> Dev 440-Pro but I have over 3,000 CDs and many aren't available either on Tidal or Qobus. And I didn't want to spend a ton of $$$ for a CD playing system either. Thus, from the used market, I picked up a CEC TL-5 Top-loading (belt drive) CD Transport that's very well made and use the AES/EBU XLR output of the transport to my Dev 440-Pro's AES/EBU Input. It works flawlessly ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Thanks @audio_engr

I think your general situation is similar to mine, and so the CD transport is one logical option. As is just continuing to rip CDs to the computer. I don't subscribe to Tidal and we don't get Qobuz in Canada. Roon is also not useful for me, either as a box or software.

Thanks for the comment.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(16-Apr-2020, 15:04)audio_engr Wrote: Here's my 2 cents to this thread.

My primary source is streaming .. Roon Nucleus+ >> Dev 440-Pro but I have over 3,000 CDs and many aren't available either on Tidal or Qobus. And I didn't want to spend a ton of $$$ for a CD playing system either. Thus, from the used market, I picked up a CEC TL-5 Top-loading (belt drive) CD Transport that's very well made and use the AES/EBU XLR output of the transport to my Dev 440-Pro's AES/EBU Input. It works flawlessly ...

What AEX/EBU XLR to AES/EBU cable did you use audio_engr?

Thanks.
-dave
(16-Apr-2020, 18:15)sfdude Wrote: What AEX/EBU XLR to AES/EBU cable did you use audio_engr?

Thanks.
-dave

Smile  .. Audioquest Diamond 1.5 Meter AES/EBU to AES/EBU
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
I had for a long time a PS Audio Memory Player and I was quite pleased with the result, except for a feeling of congestion in large orchestral tutti, which were quite unpleasant and required reducing the volume when they occurred. Two weeks ago I tested a T&A PDT 3100 HV transport and it is so much better that I decided to buy it. It is connected to the Devialet by an XLR Transparent cable.

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk
Like Confused, sometimes I just want to play a CD, especially ones I've just picked up and haven't digitized yet.

The Cambridge is a solid choice. I own the 6000CDT CD transport from Audiolab and have been extremely happy with it. Here's a review from Paul Rigby. If you are interested and want to pm me, I can give you some insight on NA retailers.
Audiolab 6000CDT, Innuos Zenith MK II, Roon, Synology NAS, D250 Pro CI, Graham Audio Chartwell LS6f, Thorens TD-160, Pickering XV-15 1200e
Hi All,

I didn't make a follow-up or conclusion post (apologies), but I did get the Cambridge CXC transport. Even new they are not expensive and this very lightly used unit is like new. Even had the plastic on the front display. I haven't had a CD player in some time, probably three years a least, but my impression is that, with the CD into the Devialet DAC, things just sound good. I'd almost say 'simple' as a description.The instruments and music sort of feel as if it is all 'just there' with no fuss or extra drama. Certainly nothing that is harsh or abrasive. (look, more adjectives!). I can tell that it is not the Naim sound, but I'm not finding it less good for being different. No less oomf or drive than the Naim, but perhaps less percussive on the bottom but with more air on the top?

Anyhow, that is my mini-review. Playing Jordi Savall or the Interpreti Veneziani disc Vivaldi in Venice (2018) really lets the wonderful live room acoustics come through naturally and easily. And on and on I go.... 

Thanks to everyone who contributed for their help. Very much appreciated.
Damon
Vancouver, Canada