Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B&W Formation Suite - suitable replacement?
Had an extensive audition of the B&W Formation Duo speakers. They are decent, but the Phantom Golds absolutely obliterate them in sonic fidelity and build quality. These are products not even anywhere near in the same category. Duo’s did not sound as good as the 700 S2 series and they’re made in China. If they were made in England, had better cabinets, used Hypex NCore amps, it could have been something special. Bowers missed the mark here. Best sounding and built powered DSP and wireless speakers in the world are Devialet and Bang & Olufsen.
(07-May-2019, 19:27)invictus005 Wrote: Had an extensive audition of the B&W Formation Duo speakers. They are decent, but the Phantom Golds absolutely obliterate them in sonic fidelity and build quality. These are products not even anywhere near in the same category. Duo’s did not sound as good as the 700 S2 series and they’re made in China. If they were made in England, had better cabinets, used Hypex NCore amps, it could have been something special. Bowers missed the mark here. Best sounding and built powered DSP and wireless speakers in the world are Devialet and Bang & Olufsen.

That's very interesting. I think the Golds are in a league of their own, esp when properly set up.

The Reactor 900 are of comparable build quality and I would love to know if they beat the Formation Duos! I'm talking in stereo config of course.

Once Roon comes to both Phantom ranges I imagine there will be even less reason to consider these. 

Cheers,

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(07-May-2019, 20:37)GuillaumeB Wrote: That's very interesting. I think the Golds are in a league of their own, esp when properly set up.

Can you elaborate on this? As I understand it, you put the Golds on a stand and there's not much other "setting up" you can do?
booshtukka
(07-May-2019, 20:37)GuillaumeB Wrote: That's very interesting. I think the Golds are in a league of their own, esp when properly set up.

Can you elaborate on this? As I understand it, you put the Golds on a stand and there's not much other "setting up" you can do?

I think that Guillaume means that like any real true full range speaker able to deliver real bass with a high SPL, the positioning in the room as well as the acoustic of the room is paramount to enable their complete potential. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(08-May-2019, 17:17)Jean-Marie Wrote: booshtukka

I think that Guillaume means that like any real true full range speaker able to deliver real bass with a high SPL, the positioning in the room as well as the acoustic of the room is paramount to enable their complete potential. 

Jean-Marie

Thank you Jean-Marie that’s exactly what I meant. The Golds generate so much bass etc that they need to be treated like big speakers in terms of placement in the room. Sorry i’ve just repeated what you said!  Big Grin 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Thanks for clarification Smile
Dear All,

Yesterday I was listening to B&W Duo. Far from walls, original stands, connecting IPad Pro through ApplePlay. Using Classical and Jazz, CD and 96/24 quality. Listening at reasonable sound level.

- sound as from small loudspeakers
- missing bass
- high frequencies and transients rather mediocre

I was using recorded locally music from Qobuz, which sounds perfectly on my Devialet Gold.

Dealer was resetting the system to factory presets and it was not helpful. Firmware was freshly updated.

Total price of the system is close to Golds when adding connection box. Cannot connect using Bluetooth without B&W Application. Application for configuring the system is from 1970 ?

Think twice !

Best,

Andrzej.