Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cadenza Black Sudden death
(23-Oct-2019, 18:01)Confused Wrote:
Z3ROIN Wrote:Very interesting thread here. I've been offered a very low hour used Cadenza Black at a very good price by a dealer to go with a VPI prime i am buying from them. It wasn't until i found this thread that i was aware of the bonded design, and started to feel a bit twitchy about getting the Black. As Confused has mentioned, i've had trouble finding other examples of where people have had this issue, but nevertheless remain in a twitch-like state about getting the cart.

One point to keep in mind is that Ortofon offer a part exchange scheme for MC cartridges.  So even if the tip falls off or another disaster occurs, you can still claim 25% of the full retail price against a new equivalent.  In the UK the Black is £1825, so a trashed Black would still be worth about £457 against a new one.

So if it is low hours and a very good price, this at least gives you a degree of insurance.

To be honest, it is a terrific sounding cartridge and the risk of failure is probably very low, so if the price is good I would say it is worth considering.

@baddog - Go for it, play it now, play it loud - then let us know......
Hmm, save your money and get a Hana ML. It completely out-performs the high end Ortofon’s IME. I’ll not be investing in Ortofon again. Google for reviews and try to get a listen, although worth the blind buy gamble if you’re up for it. I can’t remember the review I read, but it concluded along the lines of, ‘the Hana ML is the £7,000 cartridge you always coveted and you can now buy for under £1000’. I have one and I am entranced by everything it does, particularly the revelation of micro detail in recordings. So much more Sound information available to be heard. Two of my mates have bought them simply after a couple of hours listening to mine. For those with the knowledge, it’s one of those ‘no brainer’ events.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
Well, I guess I will have to cue up my copy and if things don't work out, I can get the Hana....

Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US