Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can DOS 2 Phantoms reproduce acoustic programme above 24kHz?
@streamy
Have you been able to perform some measurements with DOS1?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(09-Mar-2021, 13:43)ragwo Wrote: @streamy
Have you been able to perform some measurements with DOS1?

No, not yet. If possible @struts will lend me his UMIK-2. Then I will perform the measurements. In my initial tests with specific hires sine signals of 25kHz @96k or 192k sampled did not play in DOS1 through optical in (played in Roon to an RPi4 HAT) and also not in Spark. The muting of the output stage leading to total silence of the tweeters indicated this to me. That muting did not happen with 22kHz or lower freq sine signals. Interestingly, the 25kHz signal played through UPNP and also when I played them switching the Gold Phantom to optical direct and feed with the RPi4 HAT. Then I can hear the low level noise of the amp (with ears close to the tweeter). This gives me the hope that something of the 25kHz gets out of the tweeter when playing a hires 96k or 192k file. But this I need to record with the UMIK-2 once I have access to one.
I’ll post it tomorrow @streamy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@streamy and @struts
Thanks for the update, looking forward to your measurements!
My Phantom Voyage
Today I received the UMIK-2 from @struts. Thanks again for sending it over! I still need some time to do proper measurements, but could not wait to see, if the Phantom Golds (now Phantom 1, 108 DB) are able to play acoustically beyond 24kHz. Due to internal limitations put by Devialet most probably in favor of more reliable streaming over various network channels (Ethernet, WiFi, PLC) this could have been limited already way before DOS2 came out and Roon RAAT now shows in the signal path.
Here are my first observations:
In Rew using the scope function I could clearly see that the Phantom Gold with latest DOS1 operating system through normal optical, Spark, and UPNP could not output higher sine signals than 22kHz I saw confirmed with the UMIK2. But setting the Phantom to ‘optical direct’ mode it played the 25kHz sine signals well. In fact the UMIK2 measured amplitude was lower @25kHz, which is fine (low pass characteristics of the analog system, tweeter performance) but I could see a clearly nice sine curves of the 25k sine signal when played at 192k and at 96k. Also the modulated 1k and 25k signals played well in the optical direct mode. I will make recorded evidence during the weekend and publish here in the thread.
This result also bares chances that in DOS2 the optical direct mode could be capable to play resolutions the Phantom Gold speakers are able to output. It would be great someone with a DOS2 system could confirm this. I will also do the measurements with my DOS1 Silver Phantom and report.
@streamy
Thanks a lot for the update! Unfortunately I can't help with measurements in optical direct mode on DOS2 as I only have the UMIK1.
My Phantom Voyage
(17-Mar-2021, 00:01)ragwo Wrote: @streamy
Thanks a lot for the update! Unfortunately I can't help with measurements in optical direct mode on DOS2 as I only have the UMIK1.

Happy for you to send the UMIK-2 on to @ragwo when you have done your measurements, @streamy, if you guys are happy to cover the postage. Let’s get to the bottom of this!

(17-Mar-2021, 10:33)struts Wrote:

Happy for you to send the UMIK-2 on to @ragwo when you have done your measurements, @streamy, if you guys are happy to cover the postage.  Let’s get to the bottom of this!

That's really kind of you! Thank you very much! I'll see if I can get hold of a mic locally first. Shipping it to Norway would result in customs fees, VAT etc.
My Phantom Voyage
(17-Mar-2021, 18:39)ragwo Wrote:
(17-Mar-2021, 10:33)struts Wrote:

Happy for you to send the UMIK-2 on to @ragwo when you have done your measurements, @streamy, if you guys are happy to cover the postage.  Let’s get to the bottom of this!

That's really kind of you! Thank you very much! I'll see if I can get hold of a mic locally first. Shipping it to Norway would result in customs fees, VAT etc.

Ok, check it. Else, let me know and I’m happy to ship the UMIK2 to you for DOS2 optical direct measurements. Alternatively, I can update my 3rd Phantom (Silver model) to DOS2 and measure the optical direct frequency response.
(17-Mar-2021, 22:32)streamy Wrote: Ok, check it. Else, let me know and I’m happy to ship the UMIK2 to you for DOS2 optical direct measurements. Alternatively, I can update my 3rd Phantom (Silver model) to DOS2 and measure the optical direct frequency response

@streamy is your Silver an ADH2 unit?  (serial number K47 or later).  Can't rule out that there are differences between ADH1 and ADH2..