Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Cd Ripper - Streamer ( Brennan vs cocktail audio vs ...
Hi,
I'm in the market for a CD player with an embedded ripper and some extra streaming functionality too

My options are 

- Brennan B2
- Cocktail Audio x12

Budget is around the cost of these 2 (nothing silly, the bloucloud vault is out of my budget at the moment)

I'd plug it in straight into one phantom 

What do you guys think?
I have the cocktail x10. I don't know whether things have changed since but you can't batch rip. You have to tell it what to do each time. A real PITA. The Brennan only rips to MP3 I believe. I am not sure plugging in what would in effect be a hard drive will work. Other than that everything is fine:-)
I think I'll probably wait and see if the really do spotify hi fi :-)
I've brought home the Cocktail X40 to give it a try over the weekend.  I'm finding it very slow to respond to the controller. In some cases it seems to lock up.  I've not setup my iPad to stream music from the NAS, but all in all not the great of an appliance (probably me and trying to nail down the SQ as soon as I can).  I am sure there is more to configurations that I can play with.

Firmware is current.

I have the X40 chatting with the 240 via AES.  Can i ask how you have yours set Rodrat2?

Jim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia
Weiss Man301
x-odos.com l xo-one

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Any €25 USB Cd player/ripper will do the trick if you use the calibration tools in EAC / Accurip.
I don't use it currently as I mainly stream. I have bought a Vortebox ripper/hard drive which batch rips to Flac which is what I will use when I get the time.
(27-Feb-2017, 12:30)JimmyJ Wrote: Hi,
I'm in the market for a CD player with an embedded ripper and some extra streaming functionality too

My options are 

- Brennan B2
- Cocktail Audio x12

Budget is around the cost of these 2 (nothing silly, the bloucloud vault is out of my budget at the moment)

I'd plug it in straight into one phantom 

What do you guys think?

(05-Mar-2017, 18:52)Jim_Anderson Wrote: I've brought home the Cocktail X40 to give it a try over the weekend.  I'm finding it very slow to respond to the controller. In some cases it seems to lock up.  I've not setup my iPad to stream music from the NAS, but all in all not the great of an appliance (probably me and trying to nail down the SQ as soon as I can).  I am sure there is more to configurations that I can play with.

Firmware is current.

I have the X40 chatting with the 240 via AES.  Can i ask how you have yours set Rodrat2?

Jim

Unfortunately the Cocktail x40 isn't going to find a home with me. I found the interface (although a wonderful attempt) woefully inadequate.  Processing speed of CD ripper intolerable.  SQ no better than anything I currently have.  Design is quite nice and if they had put some muscle (cpu, memory, ssd, support for Roon or a myriad of other more successful interfaces) behind this effort, it would be a killer.  Oh so close.

SQ was almost as good as the Linn Akurate DS1 in streaming which is a very positive reflection on what Cocktail is attempting to accomplish.  I was hoping for better.

Jim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia