Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB/DAC playback of high res sound
Trying to get my head around some very basic functioning of the Devaliet and source setup.

I have an older Macbook hooked up to the Devaliet via USB. The output sound setting on the Mac says the Devaliet USB Audio 2.0 output is at 44.1kHz.

Does this mean that my high resolution source material is downgraded through the USB interface before it reaches the Devaliet?

Or does the Devaliet receive its data packs untouched regardless?
400 Dual Mono - B&W802 Diamond - B&W DB1 - And a shitty Mac to ruin it all.
spiralzen,
you really must provide more info, for example, what player software are you using on the Macbook ?
what "older Macbook" and more importantly what OS X version ?
do you use any other audio tools (like BitPerfect etc) ?
For the player software (whatever it is), are there options to change output sample rates (and what are they set to ?)
If you are just using iTunes with nothing else, which version of iTunes ?

and where (which menu etc) do you see "output sound settings on the Mac says Devialet.. is at 44.1khz" ?? Is that in the player software, system preferences ???
You need a player that switches the output bit rate/sample rate of the DAC inside the Devialet automatically depending on the file that's played. I'm not a Mac user but I believe the Bitperfect and Audirvana programs are quite popular.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(24-Nov-2014, 14:57)Antoine Wrote: You need a player that switches the output bit rate/sample rate of the DAC inside the Devialet automatically depending on the file that's played. I'm not a Mac user but I believe the Bitperfect and Audirvana programs are quite popular.

Being pedantic what needs to happen is that the computer output resolution needs switching to the same as the file being played. The Devialet, or any other DAC simply plays the file resolution it is sent.
Bitperfect is the cheapest way to achieve it using iTunes on a Mac.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(24-Nov-2014, 14:57)Antoine Wrote: You need a player that switches the output bit rate/sample rate of the DAC inside the Devialet automatically depending on the file that's played. I'm not a Mac user but I believe the Bitperfect and Audirvana programs are quite popular.

Thanks, will try these out!

(24-Nov-2014, 16:54)f1eng Wrote:

Being pedantic what needs to happen is that the computer output resolution needs switching to the same as the file being played. The Devialet, or any other DAC simply plays the file resolution it is sent.

Thanks so much, this made it clear for me.
400 Dual Mono - B&W802 Diamond - B&W DB1 - And a shitty Mac to ruin it all.
(24-Nov-2014, 16:54)f1eng Wrote: Being pedantic what needs to happen is that the computer output resolution needs switching to the same as the file being played. The Devialet, or any other DAC simply plays the file resolution it is sent.

Sorry, don't know what my brain was doing at that moment. Smile You are absolutely right, it's the computer/OS sound output that changes in bit depth/sample freq.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands