Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chrome Plating went Off
(27-Jul-2015, 21:22)G-Vialet Wrote:
(27-Jul-2015, 20:26)Manoet Wrote: You won't have an issue getting it replaced and I suspect this is going to become more of an issue as time goes by. The prep required for plating aluminum with chrome is simply too arduous and unreliable... there's going to be constant issues as machine oils and coolants used when CNCing begin to migrate back out of the alloy porosity that opened up under heat due to machining and start to loosen and blister the 3-layer plating. Once you see a bubble form in the chrome, its too late. These things usually fail in batches... good batches & bad batches all related to pre-plating surface prep. And sadly they're too labor-intensive to strip & re-plate. Cheaper for Devialet to toss em and start with a new billet than risk it recurring repeatedly on the same parts. Whatta waste!

Hi Manoet,

Thanks a lot for your prompt answer, really appreciate it!
I sent the photos to my dealer. Let's see what they say.

Cheers,
Ralf

It would be interesting to see if they allow you to keep the old chassis.  Perhaps Manoet could use it as his test case study investigating media blasting off the chrome to see if there are any SQ improvements.

Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
(28-Jul-2015, 20:58)kenreau Wrote:
(27-Jul-2015, 20:26)Manoet Wrote: You won't have an issue getting it replaced and I suspect this is going to become more of an issue as time goes by. The prep required for plating aluminum with chrome is simply too arduous and unreliable... there's going to be constant issues as machine oils and coolants used when CNCing begin to migrate back out of the alloy porosity that opened up under heat due to machining and start to loosen and blister the 3-layer plating. Once you see a bubble form in the chrome, its too late. These things usually fail in batches... good batches & bad batches all related to pre-plating surface prep. And sadly they're too labor-intensive to strip & re-plate. Cheaper for Devialet to toss em and start with a new billet than risk it recurring repeatedly on the same parts. Whatta waste!

Hi Manoet,

Cheers,
Ralf

It would be interesting to see if they allow you to keep the old chassis.  Perhaps Manoet could use it as his test case study investigating media blasting off the chrome to see if there are any SQ improvements.

Kenreau

Big Grin  Excellent idea!

Back to topic:
Anyone else seen a chrome-plating-blow-off on their D's?
Bauer LS 3.0 - Ortofon 7.8N SPK - Octave RE320 - 220 Pro - DH Labs D-110 - Mutec MC-3+ USB - ROON ROCK NUC - Sbooster MKII - Technics 1200 MK2 w/ Quintet Blue
(28-Jul-2015, 21:08)G-Vialet Wrote:
(28-Jul-2015, 20:58)kenreau Wrote:

Hi Manoet,

Cheers,
Ralf

Kenreau

Big Grin  Excellent idea!

Back to topic:
Anyone else seen a chrome-plating-blow-off on their D's?

Ciao G-Vialet,

I've just checked my unit and (so far) it looks fine. But, I remember, back in October 13 when I bought it (originally the 170 model) my dealer confirming a slight delay due to Devialet having found problems with the finish of the chrome on some units.

Now, your unit is much newer so probably nothing to do with the issue I'm speaking about, but still interesting bit of info I thought.

I'm sure Devialet will replace the whole case without asking. Once in the factory I believe they are quite efficient, my D was ready (a very minor problem on the board caused by a short-circuit) after about a week from arrival.

PS: Lucky this frechmen! Indeed a large (and educated) test department for free!! Tongue
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy
My personal feeling is they will simply replace the entire component straight across and replace the case at their convenience back at the factory. Can't guarantee it of course but if this were my company that's how I'd handle these types of situations. For electronic issues I'd repair. For cosmetic, replace. Far better/smarter use of time & resources.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(29-Jul-2015, 11:55)Manoet Wrote: My personal feeling is they will simply replace the entire component straight across and replace the case at their convenience back at the factory. Can't guarantee it of course but if this were my company that's how I'd handle these types of situations. For electronic issues I'd repair. For cosmetic, replace. Far better/smarter use of time & resources.

Handing over my D120 to my dealer tomorrow. They called me today and they already spoke to their distributor. Shouldn't be an issue to get it replaced. Hopefully this is a one-time issue no one else will have to deal with.

Still love my Devialet, its design, the one box does it all concept, the sophisticated technology and its special super quick and precise SQ!

Will keep you posted.

Cheers,
Ralf
Bauer LS 3.0 - Ortofon 7.8N SPK - Octave RE320 - 220 Pro - DH Labs D-110 - Mutec MC-3+ USB - ROON ROCK NUC - Sbooster MKII - Technics 1200 MK2 w/ Quintet Blue
(29-Jul-2015, 20:41)G-Vialet Wrote:
(29-Jul-2015, 11:55)Manoet Wrote: My personal feeling is they will simply replace the entire component straight across and replace the case at their convenience back at the factory. Can't guarantee it of course but if this were my company that's how I'd handle these types of situations. For electronic issues I'd repair. For cosmetic, replace. Far better/smarter use of time & resources.

Handing over my D120 to my dealer tomorrow. They called me today and they already spoke to their distributor. Shouldn't be an issue to get it replaced. Hopefully this is a one-time issue no one else will have to deal with.

Still love my Devialet, its design, the one box does it all concept, the sophisticated technology and its special super quick and precise SQ!

Will keep you posted.

Cheers,
Ralf

Hi There,

Quick update: only the chassis will be replaced, not the complete unit. Because of the holiday season this might take some more days.
I don't really mind about that, although I was hoping to get everything sorted a bit quicker while being on vacation. I am now listening to my previous amplifier, but I miss the "D-specific-sound". The sound and stage a D creates is so much wider and more detailed, precise and defined.

Cheers,
Ralf
Tongue 
Hi All,

My D120 is on its way and will be back next week. Well, this took a bit.

When the Devialet guys visited my dealer last month, they had the SAM-equipment with them. They were not let go until another pair of my speakers, which they had in the show room, was SAMed. I really appreciate that, especially because the speakers are rather rare and I believe they would normally never get SAMed.
This should have been a surprise, a little gift for the long waiting, but I found out myself earlier  Cool
However, can't wait and I am so excited about it. Customer service at its best!

Cheers,
Ralf
The "D" is back. Finally, I got a chance to pick it up.
It's already updated to 8.1.3, loaded a new config with ICM and DPM on and of course the SAM profile. Now warming up for tonight  Big Grin
So, it's a brand new one ?
B&W 805d - Athom Zef Max - Devialet D200 - AIR Ethernet - Roon ROCK (NUC8i3BEH + LPSU100) - Qobuz

- FR -
(22-Sep-2015, 15:53)ledesc Wrote: So, it's a brand new one ?

The chassis was replaced, serial is the same as before.

Cheers,
Ralf