Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
running MacBook via Oppo to Phantoms
just to introduce myself; soon to be proud owner of a pair of phantoms, courtesy the wonderful Paul @ Hifi Lounge.

was there yesterday and managed to get my MacBook streaming PCM and DSD via Jriver on a USB input to the Oppo BDP105D acting as a bridge and then TOSLINK to the Dialog.

didn't get time to check all the sample rates, but looked like native PCM @ 192-24 was going to the Oppo ok and DSD was going ok too via DoP.

probably down sampled in the Oppo to PCM 96-24 for output to the TOSLINK, but seemed to hang together.

native DSD is passed through the Oppo via HDMI btw, so if you break out the audio stream from this to TOSLINK, it's probably gonna result in silence as the DAC in the Phantoms (TI PCM1798 doesn't have a DSD option :-() unlike the PCM1792A in the Experts... <sigh>...
Interesting. Did you try playing the tunes in the spark player as a comparison?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(24-Sep-2015, 01:40)DSD Wrote: Hi sleech didn't really have time to A/B with spark but I know paul has successfully streamed 192-24 from his NAS via spark wirelessly with no drops or jitter... Will report back when I've got it all set up and I can run some decent tests...

Spark sends the whole file at once to the Phantom (or the dialog) when it starts playing a track, so you'll never get drops or jitter, I think. IMHO that's a pretty foolproof (and smart) way of sidestepping the whole issue! Wink

Since I only have one Phantom, I have no idea of how dialog and phantom behave with respect to each other (real time streaming or asynchronous with separate sync packets afterwards).
Hi sleech didn't really have time to A/B with spark but I know paul has successfully streamed 192-24 from his NAS via spark wirelessly with no drops or jitter... Will report back when I've got it all set up and I can run some decent tests...

The only real A/B I did yesterday was a track I had in jriver and went from 44.1-16 wave to 192-24 PCM to DSD64 to 320kbs MP3, DSD was marginally better over PCM and Paul picked the MP3 instantly in a blind test ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk