Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classic Phantom pair - No low-mids, shoebox sound
(26-May-2020, 07:03)massi.rav Wrote:
(20-May-2020, 13:24)EmmanuelG Wrote: Hello all,

I can describe the sound as muffled....

Once again I am very surprised with that tiny, poor sound quality. My listenings in store + reviews I have read are far for describing this result.

That’s a very strange situation.

I know it is obvious and probably it cannot be done, but as you say you performed listenings in the store, and if this still comfy for you, I would drive with your Premiers to the store again and ask for a comparison listening btw your models and the ones in the shop. This could be the very last test to see if you have been provided with faulty hardware.

You are right. Unfortunately because of the pandemic stores are closed now.
When I listened to them before buying in the store(s), I did not notice that "empty" sound.

As an anecdote. The last time I went to a store, I wanted to listen extensively to the Reactors and compare them to the Premiers. In their separate auditorium, when one speaker only was playing (mono) the sound where pleasing. But when with 2 speakers in stereo, the bass totally disappeared, which the vendor pretended not to hear/agree Huh  The same happened to both Reactors and Premier, and my immediate assumption was not even a phase issue but the room causing this with inadequate shape / materials. The vendor switched quickly to the big guns with the Golds but still no bass. The Phantoms in the public store open entrance sounded largely better. That makes me quite reluctant to spend time and energy to bring my Phantom(s) to the store, but sure my ears would tell the results.

Back to my situation, I guess Devialet has the tools to quickly review internal preamp / DSP settings. Ideal solution would them to come to my place and listen / give advice / correct if they can. Not sure they have this process.

EDIT: Phantoms really go low to 16 Hz. Very nice feeling ! Heart
This is quite weird and sound as if one Phantom plays with inverted polarity (phase). How that is possible with a design like Phantoms I don't understand.

How does it sound if you set up and play only one speaker? Maybe try to move the single speaker to the centre of the listening space while testing.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I tried mono listening of each Phantom to search for phase issues or only one of them's malfunction: no results.

I tried different places, from 60cm to 1,60m high, from 30 cm to 80 cm off the wall, and they sounded the very same. Sure in the middle the issue would remain.
Is there sound from the mid range unit at all? You'd easily hear when you put an ear close to the front of a Phantom.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(26-May-2020, 14:12)EmmanuelG Wrote: I tried mono listening of each Phantom to search for phase issues or only one of them's malfunction: no results.

I tried different places, from 60cm to 1,60m high, from 30 cm to 80 cm off the wall, and they sounded the very same. Sure in the middle the issue would remain.

have you tried a factory reset from the web interface page?
just to see if it is a software related problem or not.
(26-May-2020, 20:16)ogs Wrote: Is there sound from the mid range unit at all? You'd easily hear when you put an ear close to the front of a Phantom.
Yes there is: I can hear and feel its vibrations with a gentle touch.

(26-May-2020, 22:40)massi.rav Wrote:
(26-May-2020, 14:12)EmmanuelG Wrote: I tried mono listening of each Phantom to search for phase issues or only one of them's malfunction: no results.

have you tried a factory reset from the web interface page?
just to see if it is a software related problem or not.
How can I do that ? Is that a web page interface on each Phantom on the LAN ?
(27-May-2020, 09:28)EmmanuelG Wrote: Is that a web page interface on each Phantom on the LAN ?
Correct. See this
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Phantom-...web-server
So nice ! I'll quickly check that tonight.
Just did it. I have set the Phantoms up again but, from the very first notes nothing changed.

At least tried it thanks to your help !
One more test to eliminate room. Can you take a Phantom to a friend's house and try it there? Ask friend to listen as well.

It looks like you may have two faulty units, which is unusual. Contact Devialet Support again with the results of all the things you have tried.