Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Combining Phantom with smart house system
Anybody have any experience with connecting Phantoms to a smart house system. I am thinking about getting SmartThings and connecting the Phantoms either directly to it (dont think its possible) or through a Sonos Connect. 

My setup would be two Phantoms and one Dialog and then one Sonos Connect.

My question is first would this work?
Will playing phantoms through Sonos connect impede sound quality?
Anybody have any experience in latancy if I were also to connect this setup to my TV?

Appreciate any feedback.

Br

Knut
I have no experience connecting Sonos to SmartThings (although it seems entirely possible). I do have experience with Phantom, Sonos and TV, though.

The Sonos Connect works well with Phantoms / Dialog. To me, there's no discernible difference in sound quality - and nor should there be, considering it's a digital signal path. I think there's a lot of misconceptions around this  - that SQ should somehow be better using Spark, ethernet cables rather than wireless etc. Sonos Connect, however, does not support 16-bit/48 kHz, so if you have source material beyond that, it will make a difference.

It also does not have an optical input for your TV, so you would be forced to use the analog input, which would undoubtedly affect SQ when playing sound from your TV.

Perhaps also have a look at Bluesound Node 2. It supports 24-bit/192kHz, has an optical input and furthermore has an infrared learning capability, making it play nicely with a TV remote. I don't know if it works with SMartThings, though :-)
Hi
I have been enjoying internet radio and music from NAS on phantom from sonos for quite some times now... The quality is excellent...
My Panasonic Viera is connected directly via toslink to one of the phantom and my tv sounds is also great...
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
(29-Jan-2016, 03:03)angenet Wrote: Hi
I have been enjoying internet radio and music from NAS on phantom from sonos for quite some times now... The quality is excellent...
My Panasonic Viera is connected directly via toslink to one of the phantom and my tv sounds is also great...

Thank you for your reply. How did you deal with the latancy created by Phantom and Sonos vs TV picture? I belive Phantom ads 80ms and Sonos Connect adds 60 ms.