Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparison of different generations of expert system
Hi all,

Complete noob here and vastly attracted to the minimalist look of the expert system.   Would like to understand more of the different generations of the expert system as I'm looking for an all-in-one streamer/poweramp for my second system powering a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica bookshelf speaker.  

My main system already has an Innuos music server with my music data.   Look to have the Devialet playing files from my music data as well as various streaming services.
Hello @alecela

This thread might be useful to you in terms of understanding the history of the range and the various models available:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Differen...-amplifier

Plus some good news, there are a number of members on this forum using Devialet amps and getting good results with both with Innuos servers and Sonus Faber speakers.

Personally I have listened to a number of Devialet amps (Expert and Pro) driving the bigger Olympica II and III's, in all cases with good results. Sonus Faber and Devialet seems to be a good match. Although unfortunately I have never heard the Olympica stand mounts, so cannot comment specifically.

Welcome to the forum, it is quite a friendly place here and I am sure that if you have any further questions you will get the help you need.

Out of interest, what amp / DAC are you using now to drive the SF's?

And just out of idle curiosity, if you have Sonus Faber Olympica's as a second system, what is your first system comprised of?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Hi @alecela,

Welcome to the neighborhood.

I´m one of those with SF´s attached to Devialet, tried a few speakers before, including Olympica lll... and also have an Innuos as a server.
So, my opinion is maybe a little bit dubious or very credible, it depends on the point of view.
The combination is very satisfying, although I didn't really like the partnership with Olympica lll.
I preferred something else more detailed but with the SF characteristics.

In terms of server it´s a much more relative matter. I´m almost happy with the Zen mini but it´is clearly insufficient and i'm thinking about a step up to a Zenith. Innuos is the option for me because of the ripping availability and the price/performance ratio.

If I can help with anything else, feel free.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(15-Aug-2020, 08:00)Confused Wrote: Hello @alecela

This thread might be useful to you in terms of understanding the history of the range and the various models available:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Differen...-amplifier

Plus some good news, there are a number of members on this forum using Devialet amps and getting good results with both with Innuos servers and Sonus Faber speakers.

Personally I have listened to a number of Devialet amps (Expert and Pro) driving the bigger Olympica II and III's, in all cases with good results.  Sonus Faber and Devialet seems to be a good match.  Although unfortunately I have never heard the Olympica stand mounts, so cannot comment specifically.

Welcome to the forum, it is quite a friendly place here and I am sure that if you have any further questions you will get the help you need.

Out of interest, what amp / DAC are you using now to drive the SF's? 

And just out of idle curiosity, if you have Sonus Faber Olympica's as a second system, what is your first system comprised of?

Tx for the warm welcome.   That's helpful.     The SF is part of a new secondary system hence not being used at the moment.   The other alternative for the Devialet Expert system would be the Naim Uniti star/nova.

As for the main system, it's Innuos Zen m3 -> dCS Debussy -> Pass Labs X1 -> Pass Labs X250.5 -> Magnepan 3.7i
(15-Aug-2020, 16:08)BoyScout Wrote: Hi @alecela,

Welcome to the neighborhood.

I´m one of those with SF´s attached to Devialet, tried a few speakers before, including Olympica lll... and also have an Innuos as a server.
So, my opinion is maybe a little bit dubious or very credible, it depends on the point of view.
The combination is very satisfying, although I didn't really like the partnership with Olympica lll.
I preferred something else more detailed but with the SF characteristics.

In terms of server it´s a much more relative matter. I´m almost happy with the Zen mini but it´is clearly insufficient and i'm thinking about a step up to a Zenith. Innuos is the option for me because of the ripping availability and the price/performance ratio.

If I can help with anything else, feel free.

Hey BoyScout, Tx for the response.   I'm pleased to see someone is already using the Devialet system w/ the Innuos.  I would imagine the two are working reasonably well together?   Would you happen to know if the older D200 would work equally well?
(15-Aug-2020, 18:56)alecela Wrote: Hey BoyScout, Tx for the response.   I'm pleased to see someone is already using the Devialet system w/ the Innuos.  I would imagine the two are working reasonably well together?   Would you happen to know if the older D200 would work equally well?

Yes, Innuos is a good choice, reasonably as you said and in my case, but much better if with a upper model.
About the D200 i can´t answer, i don´t know. I know there´s alot of Dev owners upgrading their D200.
In my case, i already had a 220 Pro and just made the upgrade to CI. But the difference, if you have one already, can´t be that much, and you can always upgrade it in a near future.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(15-Aug-2020, 07:31)alecela Wrote: Hi all,

Complete noob here and vastly attracted to the minimalist look of the expert system.   Would like to understand more of the different generations of the expert system as I'm looking for an all-in-one streamer/poweramp for my second system powering a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica bookshelf speaker.  

My main system already has an Innuos music server with my music data.   Look to have the Devialet playing files from my music data as well as various streaming services.

The Pro series is a complete upgrade from Expert. Significant upgrade in Power Supply.

The non Pro Expert can shut down itself when driving some speakers that is difficult to drive. And I see this happen on MBL speaker, the problem resolved after Pro upgrade.

You got to get the Pro range.
@alecela  - Noting that you have a dCS Debussy, you might be interested in something I posted a while ago, a comparison between the 1000Pro and dCS Debussy with a Chord SPM1200.

This is my ears and my view, of course, but you might find it interesting as a reference.  (see post #17 per the link below)

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-D800-upg...ves?page=2
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Welcome @alecela . I have the D220 Pro CI with SF Olympica IIIs and find the combo to be great for my needs. It does double duty for music and home theater needs. I use Roon and this is a really easy system for even my wife to manage and play music on. She even casts music from Youtube over AIR I believe!

Let us know what specific questions you need answered.
Tx again to all for the warm welcome. Looks like most owners here are already using the current generation of Pro or Pro CI version. I'm looking at used D200 vs. D220 Pro hence would like to better understand the difference, especially in terms of functions and connectivity.

Moreover, what's the typical upgrade path/charge from expert range to expert pro range?