Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Complementary Roon subscriptions with purchase of Expert Pros
(21-May-2020, 14:49)K4680 Wrote:
(20-May-2020, 22:19)David A Wrote:

Hi David A, I agree with you in a few things, but I still don't believe in the Devialet RAAT error 1000 / 100Mbit.  I myself only had the dropouts as long as I was running the ROON core on the mac mini or on a windows machine (I have reported in detail).  I then switched to an i7 Nuc and Roon Rock, and everything went well.  No problem with 1GBit network and HD files 192 khz or larger.  One of my friends also has a 220pro and a notebook with ROON core and also problems with dropouts, because I then bought a Nucleus + (the reason was the fan in the Nuc) I then sold the Nuc to my friend.  All of a sudden, the dropouts are gone and 1Ghz network and HD files 192khz has been running for months without interference!  Therefore I find it difficult to push the RAAT error towards Devialet.  If it were a devialet error, all users or none (with the same software version) would have it.  It would make sense to start a query among the chat members who has problems and with which hardware / OS (Rock, Mac, Windows, Network, Router, Switch etc.)
Maybe there will be some parallels when errors occur!  Wink

I'm running Roon on a Roon Nucleus+ which is essentially an i7 NUC running Rock. I could trigger the problem with a gigabit connection just by setting Roon to upsample everything to 192/24 but I didn't get the problem with the one album I have at 176.4/24 if I streamed it at native resolution and I didn't get it with any other resolution lower than 192/24. I tried several different ethernet switches over a period and the problem was the same with all switches. If I streamed 192/24 content the problem would always occur but sometimes it would occur in minutes, sometimes it would occur after an hour or two of streaming. If I streamed at lower resolutions I never noticed the problem

In January I got an Uptone Audio ETHERRegen and connected my 140 to the B side, the "clean" side, which is a 100 Mbit connection. I don't normally upsample, I stream everything at native resolution and let my 140 do the upsampling, but I set Roon to upsample everything to 192/24  and streamed everything at 192/24 for several hours and never got the problem so the 100 Mbit connection does seem to solve the problem in my experience. After trying the experiment I went back to streaming everything at native resolution and  haven't had the problem in the 4 months since starting to use the ETHERRegen but that's not surprising since I didn't get the problem when streaming at native resolution with a gigabit connection.

So, in my case 192/24 plus gigabit connection triggers the problem, 192/24 with a 100 Mbit connection does not trigger the problem. I got the Nucleus+ in April 2019, about 2 months after we got the RAAT firmware update. Prior to that I was using an Antipodes server with a Celeron processor. I never noticed the problem while using it but I never had Roon upscale anything to 192/24 before getting the Nucleus+.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia