Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert Pro at 240/230 voltage rather than 120
Was reviewing a paper from Vince Galbo of MSB (makers of the exceedingly well regarded DACs) were he advises about improving the internal wiring to realize better sound and he also suggest that. if possible, your gear should be run at the higher voltages used in Europe and other parts of the world rather than the North American standards if your equipment is designed to do so...see below.  Not advocating this but am curious...any one made this change?  I know that The D'agostino Mono blocks are recommended to be run at 240 as well as, I believe, the Boulder series.

Prior to my move to the US last year 2018, I was in Sierra Leone (West Africa) for 2 years and I acquired my entire present audio gear in 2016. The Devialets were D400 and I was using them @ 230 volts ac 50Hz. 

In July 2018, my same D400 was plugged in at my home in Northern Virginia where it operates @ 115 volts ac 60Hz. I did not notice a single difference from operating my D400 earlier at 230 V 50Hz and now 115 V 60Hz. 

Very high power amplifiers esp. ones which are extremely high current advice using 240 Volts 60Hz in the US / North America as 3-phase power can offer better noise rejection. However, our Devialets are only operational in single phase hence in North America, it will be always 115 V 60Hz if plugged-in to the wall.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(15-Feb-2019, 18:03)Wdw Wrote: Was reviewing a paper from Vince Galbo of MSB (makers of the exceedingly well regarded DACs) were he advises about improving the internal wiring to realize better sound and he also suggest that. if possible, your gear should be run at the higher voltages used in Europe and other parts of the world rather than the North American standards if your equipment is designed to do so...see below.  Not advocating this but am curious...any one made this change?  I know that The D'agostino Mono blocks are recommended to be run at 240 as well as, I believe, the Boulder series.

I've had a Devialet amp for 8 years. 3 years I spent in Japan (100V). I didn't hear any difference. 

In fact, I had Accuphase gear earlier and I also used them (preamp, amp, CD player) both at 100V and 240V (reconnecting cables inside) and also with external transformers. Never noticed a difference. 

To my knowledge, an amp either works with transformer(s)=linear power supply when the transformer converts the mains voltage to something lower or a switching power supply. When the power supplies are designed well, feed voltage should not make any difference.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500